Error -557

Hello, everybody,

On several of my clients, I started to get an error -557:

"Trouble reading files, error -557 (transaction already complete)"

Server:

- Dell's XPS P4/3.2GHz, 4 GB RAM, plenty of HD space (HD checked, reported no errors);

- XPSP2 - all updates;

- SIIG FW 800 controller, neat - not just generic - cable (both new from the box, tested with other devices);

- Retrospect SS 7.5.324, RDU 7.5.9.102;

- Exabyte VXA-2 1U PacketLoader.

Two clients in question: XPSP2, all updates, ~40GB data each. HDs were checked, reported no errors.

First client started to return -557 errors after a couple of months of normal operation, out of the blue. After much system tweaking that did not resolve the problem, I reset its NIC speed from autonegotiation to 10Mb half-duplex. Everything's fine now (except of sluggish speed), the -557 does not appear anymore. I am not sure that the autonegotiation did cause the problem, but it definitely was a solution :^[

A second client was returning the -557 errors from first day. Tweaked the same 10 Mb/HD, disk is checked and found healthy. In mean time, I'm reluctand to tweak the IDE or HD controller settings.

The -557 failure happens in different directories, usually in the beginning of backup, sometimes later. From the last log, it happened in SAVCE directory:

T-21: bkstreamParseRead: id = 1, flags = 0, size = 12,581, name =

T-21: bkstreamParseRead: id = 0, flags = 1, size = 0, name =

T-21: TPCFile::OriginalFilePath = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads\livetri.zip

T-21: TPCFile::FilePath = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads\livetri.zip

T-21: TPCFile::BackupReadOpen: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads\livetri.zip

T-21: bkstreamParseRead: id = 3, flags = 0, size = 104, name =

T-21: bkstreamParseRead: id = 1, flags = 0, size = 518,144, name =

T-21: TPCFile::OriginalFilePath = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\Logs\02102007.Log

T-21: TPCFile::FilePath = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\Logs\02102007.Log

T-21: TPCFile::BackupReadOpen: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\Logs\02102007.Log

T-21: bkstreamParseRead: id = 3, flags = 0, size = 76, name =

T-21: bkstreamParseRead: id = 1, flags = 0, size = 124, name =

Trouble reading files, error -557 (transaction already complete)

2/10/2007 7:24:24 PM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 50908 files, 12.8 GB

Completed: 15 files, 586 KB, with 1% compression

Performance: 0.7 MB/minute

Duration: 00:14:58 (00:14:11 idle/loading/preparing)

Your suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Heh, good to see this isn't only happening with Netware clients. Ok, maybe it isn't "good" necessarily, but it is nice to feel not so alone. I've found that it happens on many different files. I was not able to narrow it down to just one file/folder.

It does so happen that this is one of my fastest clients (fasted backup time), so maybe it has something to do with the rate at which the data get to the Retrospect server. Overflowing some buffers? I mean, since you mentioned that throttling down one server fixed it for one client. I can't throttle the Netware server, but maybe the Retrospect server....

I've been waiting for a solution for this for like 8 months now. Maybe now that it is affecting Windows clients, there will be more attention given to it. Good luck.

-matthew

Experimenting:

- set the both client's and Retrospect's NICs back to autonegotiation;

- disabled flow control on the _client_ only.

No errors.

Another client - same NIC, same drivers, same subnet - is happily talking to the Retrospect over autonegotiation/auto flow control.

I just do not want to tweak differently a bunch of clients. With manual configurations, every change in the campus-wide NOC will add to my headaches. As one of my users said to me (not in a good way): "If running the backup take so much effort, I do not want the backup at all." Just venting...

• 2 weeks later...

We were seeing -557 errors with our Novell clients as well for over 8 months now. We reported this a trouble ticket, they took a lot of debugging information from us and a lot of my time. Now I don't hear back from them at all and we are under support contract as well.

After a few new patches came out we went from getting -557 errors to getting asserts. I've reinstalled the backup workstation from scratch and dedicated it to running only Retrospect. My Novell servers are all running the latests patches and NLMs that I see on the forum as necessary are running.

I haven't been able to backup using the clients since I purchased Retrospect. I for one am extremely dissapointed.