Trouble writing files, error -1004 (Database Backup/Restore error)

srnath

Hai,

We are takeing SQLSERVER 2005 Database backup successfully, When I tried to restore one of the Database on to another server running on SQLSERVER2000, I'm getting the following Error message:

Trouble writing files, error -1004 (Database Backup/Restore error)

Is there any documentation / procedure to Restore SQLserver Databases?

I need to restore to SQLSERVER 2005 server only?

We are using Retrospect 7.5 , on windows server 2003 OS.

Thanks for any help

Regards

Srnath

• 2 weeks later...

Is this a database you created or a system database? The Users Guide outlines steps for restoring a database. It's pretty straightforward for a personal (user created) database. If this is a disaster recovery situation, or you are restoring a system database you should definitely read the User's Guide, which can be found in the Retrospect program folder.

Amy,

Thanks for your reply, I have gone through the steps in user guide only,

I want to restore an user created database(Sqlserver 2005) from tape to another Machine which is also running Sqlserver 2005.

I can see all databases( system and user created) in the source macine , While on the target machine I can see only SqlServer, but cannot see any databases.

I'm selecting the selecting the sqlserver as target , I do have 2 separate lisences for source and target machines.

Regards

Srnath

Hi -

So you can't even see the system databases and on the target machine? That sounds like a permissions issue the user account being used to login the SQL agent. Right click on the destination SQL server and go to Login As. Are you using Windows Authentication? If so, try a domain account. If you are using SQL Authentication try the sa account.

Amy

Hi Amy,

Thanks for your reply,

I can see the sqlserver databases in source and target machines after mapping the Volumes,

While using Database Restore option I can see source( from tape) database but on target I can see only SQLSERVER I can't drill down to see Databases.

I tried with Windows Authentication & domain account , but no luck, I will try with sa soon.

Srnath