Write to any tape?

RDavisCA

I have 6 tapes on Retrospect 7.5.9.102. I would appreciate any solution that will allow me to have a recycle (full) backup daily of selected volumes that will write to any tape the client has inserted into the drive. This will cut down on failed back up due to client confusion that happens more often than not.

Thanks,

Rick

Rick,

I would strongly suggest an autoloader. They really aren't that expensive, and they will change your life. See, e.g., http://www.exabyte.com/products/prodviewstype.cfm for VXA-2, VXA-170, and VXA-320 drives with 10-slot autoloader. There is also the 7-slot VXA-2 desktop autoloader.

You don't say whether a recycle (full) backup is wanted or incremental (normal). If incremental, realize that the increment will vary depending on the tape inserted. If recycle, it's a clean solution - the program will blow away whatever is found in the drive, back up everything. If incremental, Retropect cares about backup sets, and you would probably have to set up 6 scripts, all set to run, and with all getting a media timeout except for the "right" one for the inserted tape. Ugh. How do you expect to find the "correct" tape for a restore if the client is so haphazard in attending to backup?

Really. Get an autoloader. Load it and forget it. Ask the client how much their business is worth. And how much the data is worth. Perhaps that will drive home the point.

Russ