Can't login to NAS device (-1017)

Hi,

I have a Win2003 SP1 Server, Retrospect Single Server v.7.0.326 and a Synology Disk Station DS-106 with newest firmware (2.0.1 - 3.0371).

I wish to backup data from the Win2003 Server to the disk station (over a gigabit network) but Retrospect refuses to accept the username and password for the disk station when I create a backup set. I'm certain that I have typed it correctly. I have also tried to make a new user account on the disk station with only one letter as username and one number as password but Synology still refuses to login. The error message is: 'Can't access server using the given username and password, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)'. I can login to the disk station from 'My network places' with the very same username and password.

What can I do to solve the problem?

Regards Thomas G. Madsen

I can't see the volume under Configure > Volumes which I find odd when I have mapped it as a network drive. I can access it from My Computer in Windows (as drive letter O) but it seems invisible to Retrospect.

I can find it under Configure > Volumes > My network > Microsoft Windows Network > Workgroup > Synology, but if I click on the 'Advanced...' button in there and type in the path, username and password, I get the same error message.

Regards

Thomas G. Madsen

I think that I have found the problem.

Retrospect is installed on an account with administrator privileges and when I build scripts or doing anything manually to Retrospect, I usually starts it via the red cube shortcut in systray.

What I haven't noticed before is that when I start Retrospect via that red cube shortcut, Retrospect starts on the NT Authority/System account. It's shown in the status bar and that account haven't access to the Synology Disk Station. What I can't understand is why it starts on that account.

If I use the Start > Programs > Retrospect > Retrospect 7.0 shortcut it starts on the administrator account instead and I can access the Synology Disk Station. I haven't noticed yet what account it starts on when it runs a scheduled task. If it runs on the NT Authority/System account I'm in trouble but I hope that it runs on the administrator account.