soccRecv: recv failed, error 10053

mjdl

I'm running the Retro Professional 7.0.344 with all the latest updates on a Pentium dual-cpu dinosaur running Windows 2000 Prof SP4 w/all latest patches. Backup of local disks to tape, DVD, disk and file works well.

Now I'm trying to use the Retro client (latest version of the 7.0 series) to back up my notebook (Windows XP Home SP2 w/all patches) to disk backup sets on the dinosaur, which is cabled to my home wifi router, then wireless (811.2g) to the notebook.

Everything works when I manually launch the scripts from the dinosaur: the backup runs at a reported average of 125MB/minute, which is OK for daily incrementals.

However, when I schedule the same scripts--making sure the notebook is fully alive at backup time, of course--nothing happens: at most there is a log message soccRecv: recv failed, error 10053, which is a Winsock error (timeout, etc.). The script never executes.

How do I diagnose the cause of this? What do I put in the numbers pane of the Ctrl-Alt-P-P advanced options dialog to generate the trace with enough detail, but not too much?

You may be jumping the gun trying to increase logging already. The first thing I would check would be the user account settings in Configure> Preferences> Security. If Retrospect is set to run as the logged in user, there is going to be a significant difference in priveleges when Retrospect launches automatically. Make sure you have Retro set to run as an admin user.