"Match only files in same location" explanation needed

davision

I'm using Retrospect 7 for Windows. I don't understand the implications of using the "Match only files in same location" option.

For instance --- I have a job folder E:\JOBS that is backed up (along with it's subfolders regularly).

If I move something from E:\JOBS into E:\JOBS\PAID (which I often do) then will Retrospect SKIP that file if I have the the "Match only files in Same Location" TURNED OFF???

If so -- that's fine -- however does it update the record of where the file is saved to reflect that it's in a new location, so if I go try to restore it, it will be located in the the PAID subfolder and not the parent folder?

Hi,

Yes, and yes.

The option 'Match only files in same location' will take folder paths into consideration when matching, if the option is enabled.

Every time you run a backup Retrospect will take a snapshot of the source volume (unless you disable snapshots), and the new snapshot will reflect the new location of any moved jobs. The old snapshot, likewise, will indicate the old location of the files - wherever they were located at the date/time of that snapshot.