505/506 Error -- Backup Client Reserved

Hello All,

I am trying to backup a RedHat Linux box from Retrospect MultiServer. I keep getting 505/506 errors (backup client reserved). Sometimes, I am able to do a manual backup after restarting the Retrospect client on the Linux server, but I am unable to get the automated backup to work.

How do I fix this?

Thanks,

Emilio

hi emilio,

the -505 and -506 errors are quite different. -505 can mean that the machine is in use by another Retrospect backup server, or that there was a problem during the backup and the Client is stuck in a state and needs to be restarted. more here:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=6358&p=2

the -506 (duplicate activator code) can also happen for a number of reason. the most common reason is that the machine is multi-homed and the Retrospect Client is broadcasting the same activator code over 2 or more network interfaces. if that is the case, you should 'bind' the client. quite a bit more here:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=6340&p=2

-506 can also happen when a machine has been 'imaged' but the original machine has a Client, that was logged into. the best practice in that case is to _not_ log into the original machine until after the image has been made. the login creates the unique activator code.

cheers.

hi emilio,

i would suspect binding might solve your issue, however, here is the info you requested.

(as root, or sudo)

# rpm -q retroclient

if it's in the rpm database, then

# rpm -e retroclient

will uninstall. if you installed from source you'll want to:

# locate retro*

and,

# locate rcl

or otherwise search out what needs to be uninstalled.

cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling yet. I have tried running the command

/usr/local/dantz/retroclient -daemon -ip 192.168.93.125

I am still getting the 505 error message. I understand that this command binds the IP Address to the Retrospect client, but do I have to put this in a startup script or restart rcl?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Emilio

hi emilio,

i imagine that you stopped the Retrospect Client daemon before you gave that command, so there may be another problem going on, however, i bind my client by editing the 'rcl' script and adding the '-ip n' command as you did to the 'start' portion of the script.

here is my rcl script (/etc/init.d/rcl) with the ip X'd out:

Code:

#

# Copyright 2000-2004 EMC Dantz

#

#

# Place this script along with retroclient, and

# retrocpl in the directory specified by CLIENTDIR.

#

CLIENTDIR=/usr/local/dantz/client

case $1 in

start)

$CLIENTDIR/retroclient -daemon # -ip XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

;;

stop)

$CLIENTDIR/retrocpl -stop

;;

status)

$CLIENTDIR/retrocpl

;;

*)

echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|status}"

;;

esac

exit 0

this is so that the binding keeps between reboots.

if your client is continually reserved, this may be another issue. what version of the client do you have installed? also, what version of Red Hat?

cheers.

Thanks for the response. I have bound the Linux Retrospect client to the IP Address.

Now, when I run the backup on the Linux client, I am able to back up the first two Linux sources, but for the third, I get a -519 error:

Can't reserve backup client, ... error -519 (network communication failed)

I searched through the RetroSpect Knowledge Base and was unable to find an reference for this on a Linux client.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Emilio

hi emilio,

is this the only Linux computer you are trying to back up, or do you have others that work properly? and are the 'sources' Retrospect Subvolumes, or possibly different drives? what happens if you change the order of the 'sources'? does the backup always fail on the same 'source'?

cheers.

hi emilio,

what happens if you change the order of the 'sources'? does the backup always fail on the same 'source'? can you back up each 'source' on the Linux machine individually without problems?

it sounds like the client is getting itself into a bad state. if we can figure out what is causing that, we can probably work around the problem.

cheers.

At this point, it appears that the Retrospect client is turning itself off every time I restart it... Here's a brief session clip of a few minutes:

[root@cp client]# ./rcl status

Server "cp.#####.com":

Version 6.0.143

back up according to normal schedule

currently on

readonly is off

exclude is off

0 connections, 0 authenticated

Server "cp.#####.com":

Version 6.0.143

back up according to normal schedule

currently on

readonly is off

exclude is off

0 connections, 0 authenticated

Retrospect client is not running

[root@cp client]#

Notice I never made any command to turn off the server. Any way to check the log to see why it is turning off or should I just restart?

Thanks,

Emilio

I just restarted the Linux server and was able to do some immediate backups. I have four sources that I am trying to backup: / , /hsphere, /usr, and /var. Normally, I try to backup all sources at the same time in the order listed and the first two are able to complete. Today, I tried to backup one source at a time starting with /var. /var, /usr, and /hsphere were successful. The last one I tried / yielded the client reserved error followed by a 519 error. The Retrospect client is not turned off on Linux and I am unable to start it with rcl start or by the retroclient command.

Does this help with troubleshooting?

Thanks,

Emilio