"Building Snapshot" takes forever in 7.5

lunadesign

Turned off all security, files flew by at beginning of Build Snapshot, when all were done, still took over 3 hours to complete.

Any other ideas?

Do I need to do snapshots, if I rarely if ever restore just one file and use it instead just for catastrophic failure, which I believe, means the snapshot has to be rebuilt anyway?

If I stop doing snapshots, can I still use Retrospect's grooming?

Is grooming causing the problem?

Basically, I do personal backups of an 80 gig hard drive, that incrementally backup only a couple gigs a time, and looking at this post makes me think Retrospect has no real solution, not to mention that their tech support policy is silly - more money to pay for a single incident than the program costs?!?! - which makes me want to switch backup solutions, so, besides Retrospect, what is best?

PCB - I saw your other thread. Since you're backing up to a hard drive and not over the network (ie, using Retrospect the program to connect to Retrospect clients), your problem is definitely not the same as mine. However, I'll respond to your thread separately with some questions.

Thank you for your other post. For this thread, there is something interesting about my log. It says it was "idle/loading/preparing" for 5 hours. Preparing happens quickly, a minute or so. I'm not sure what idle is, as my computer's CPU is being used 100% for almost all of that time, as well as the hard drive continually being accessed. And not sure what loading is, but what is on the screen for 5 hours is "Building Snapshot."

Log:

+ Normal backup using Home Backup 11.06 at 6/5/2007 9:28 PM

To Backup Set Home Backup Set 11-06...

- 6/5/2007 9:28:33 PM: Copying Local Disk (C:)

6/6/2007 2:34:49 AM: Snapshot stored, 193.1 MB

6/6/2007 2:35:08 AM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 798 files, 1.5 GB

Performance: 627.0 MB/minute

Duration: 05:06:36 (05:04:13 idle/loading/preparing)

Exit at 6/6/2007 2:35 AM

+ Retrospect version 7.5.370

Launched at 6/6/2007 8:01 AM

+ Driver Update and Hot Fix, version 7.5.10.104

Also, the actual backup of files and comparing the files (where names flash on the screen very quickly) took about 5 minutes, and yet 5 hours later the Build Snapshot actually completed. What is it doing, and is there a way to make it stop?

Had my first normal backup in months. Only difference was that I have had 2 Updates that I have tried to install for months, with no success; generally the installer said I was trying to install a Logitech program that was older, or the same as, the one I had installed (btw tried to get Retrospect Tech support to help me on that one too with no success). Finally this time, I simply pushed the button to ignore the updates and the snapshot took a couple minutes. The two may not be related, but...

Any ideas as to what the heck is going on - even if you're a Retrospect Tech Rep - would be greatly appreciated. Thanks too to those who tried to help here.

• 2 weeks later...