The hex code in Exchange errors

lisalisa

In some of my Exchange mailboxes, I get the following error codes:

File "Mailbox name\Inbox\00000000b1d0eae8fa21b4459b2bb315f922947607009cb6ca41b34e1f48befa57efe36caa6c00000005d375000056cf625247cb6b43bf59b7cee0eab48100000047d8f00000": can't read, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

Does anyone know of any way to interpret the hex code so as to pinpoint exactly what message is generating that error? I'm guessing that it is a corrupt file or attatchment and i'd like to delete these so that my Exchange Backups display no errors.

Thanks!

Try this:

1. Quit Retrospect

2. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect and move your Operations Log file to a new location

3. Launch Retrospect

4. Go to Configure > Preferences and set Notfication > Logging to 100 > OK

5. Type Ctrl-Alt-P-P

6. Set Debug Logging > Trees and Volumes to 6

7. Set Mailbox Backup to 7 and close the Secret Preferences

8. Perform an Immediate Backup of just the problem mailbox to a new backup set

9. Scan the log (do a Find) for the original error message and try to match it up with a PR_SUBJECT = xxxx

Once the backup is complete be sure to reset the advanced logging levels to normal (3 for Trees and Volumes, 0 for Mailbox Backup, 10 for Logging) and move your old operations log back into place.

Hi Lisa -

What version of Retrospect are you using? I know 6.5 had that problem on messages with long subjects. If you're not using the latest and greatest (7.5) I would recommend downloading a trial version and attempting the above test. You don't have to install it on your production backup server. It can go on any machine that can connect to the Exchange Server client.

Amy

No. I haven't received this error(-523) orignally. Although one user mailbox who had errors in his sent items archived his sent items to a .pst. After doing that, the errors his mailbox received were gone.

The particular error -523 has happened on every single mailbox that I have tried to execute your fix on.

Our mailboxes are being backed up perfectly fine with the NT backups. There are absolutely no Exchange errors and like I mentioned previously, there were no errors running the eseutil either. I'm stumped.

Hi Lisa -

I don't believe NTBackup is doing brick level backup... I think it grabs the entire store at once rather then getting granular with the mailboxes down to the individual items. If you were only backing up the Exchange Server container (not the Mailboxes container) with Retrospect I don't suspect you would see any errors ther either. Think of it like backing up a zip file (store) vs each individual file (mailboxes/messages) in the zip file.

You could try exporting the mail in the Inbox (or problem folder) to a PST file and see if you can find it by process of elimination - exporting half the contents of the problem folder at a time and then attempting a backup. This may or may not work - it depends on what property in the message is corrupt and whether it is transferable out to the PST file. I don't know of a way to figure out which property it is or whether it is transferrable. The key is just to isolate the problem message (as was your need from the beginning of all this).

Do you get the same error if you go to Configure > Volumes and Browse a problem mailbox? If you are able to browse do you see any message with strange characters in the name or particularly long subject lines? These may be the culprits. If you can actually do a browse it might also work to move half the mail from the problem folder to a new folder and then try a backup of only the problem folder -- rather then mess around with the PST file.

Amy

• 1 year later...

I know this post is old, but figured I would toss my 2 cents in as I was looking for the same answer. I havn't found a precise method for translating, but if you view the log it will tell you the file such as "mailboxname\deleted items\hex number here" If you then go to the execution in history and click errors (beware this opens a window for each source an error occurred in) it will show you the message names that had errors. If there is more then one then you won't know exactly which applies to which hex number, but most likely this doesn't matter much.

Hope this helps somebody!