517 backup client is busy

I have a work station that keeps giving me a “-517 backup client is busy” error whenever I try to add a Volume to it or connect to it thought Retrospect Server. I tried

o Rebooting the workstation.

o Uninstalling the Retrospect Client and reinstalling it on the workstation.

o Re-naming the workstation.

o I have deleted the station out of Retrospect and re-add it

But noting helps. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have uninstalled the client and tried the newest NIC drivers. I also tried the previous version of the NIC driver and the original NIC drivers too. I also went into the NIC properties > Advanced > Link Speed & Duplex and changed it from “Auto Detect” to “100Mbps/Full”. I’m still getting the error.

Do you have a second NIC you can try for testing purposes?

A good way to troubleshoot this would be to install the Retrospect application on a nearby workstation, or a laptop, and run a crossover cable directly to the client (2 computer peer-to-peer). This will rule out any other network hardware associated with this client.

Is there any internet security or firewall software on this machine? If so, try disabling it.

Windows 2000 doesn't include the msconfig.exe utility, but it is fairly easy to find with a Google search online. Download a copy and go to the Services tab. Check the option to hide all Microsoft services and then uncheck everything else except the Retrospect Client. On the Startup tab "Disable All." Reboot and see the client experiences the same issues. This will help rule out a third party software conflict.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I install a new NIC in the computer and plug it into a different connect that was running off a differ hub. But it stall didn’t work.

I plug my laptop into the original connection and it was able to and I was able to run a backup from it.

I did log into the log and I noticed to error. This one was from the system log Event Type: Error

Event Source: Service Control Manager

Event Category: None

Event ID: 7022

Date: 5/21/2004

Time: 2:12:42 PM

User: N/A

Computer: MADAMS3-2

Description:

The Remote Access Auto Connection Manager service hung on starting.

This one was from the application log Event Type: Warning

Event Source: WinMgmt

Event Category: None

Event ID: 61

Date: 5/21/2004

Time: 2:12:43 PM

User: N/A

Computer: MADAMS3-2

Description:

WMI ADAP was unable to process the PerfDisk performance library due to a time violation in the open function

I tried to run the MSCONFIG, but I was never able to find the Services Tab.