Verification

gordonwd

How important is the verification option? It really adds a lot of time to the backup process. When I was using tapes for backup, I never really trusted them, so verification seemed like a good thing to do. However, I am using Retrospect to back up to an external USB 2.0 hard drive (NTFS formatted). I think that the likelihood of data errors is vanishingly small since a lot of this is actually handled at the disk driver level and in the hardware (checksums, CRCs, etc.).

Is there any reason to regularly select the verification option when backing up to a saveset on a hard disk like this?

Doug

Verification after a backup works best when you simulate exactly what happens during a restore. Retrospect does just that. When Retrospect finishes copying your data it does exactly what it would do during a retrieve, without actually putting the files back on your hard disk.

Without verification there is no way to determine if the files were copied properly. You don't want to find out that your data is corrupt when you need to restore it.

Archived