Zero length files

I am runing 5.5 on Win2K Server, backing up another Novell Netware 3.12 server volume. The total backup size is about 5Gb and the drive I am using is Seagate 10/20 GB Internal EIDE. Everything seems to be working fine. I have no problems with scheduling and executing. I have 5 members of backup set marked Mon-Fri. Recycle backup starts at 1AM and it looks like it is backing up at incredible speed. It finishes the whole volume in about 15-20 minutes, then it proceeds with verification:

Completed: 26660 files, 5.0Gb

Performance: 297.0 MB/minute (353.0 copy, 256.3 compare)

Duration 00:40:09 (00:5:46 idle/loading/preparing)

However, when I try to restore the backup or it's part, all the files restored to the hard drive, either local or network, are ZERO LENGTH. I can see all the files, but they are 0 bytes long and ofcourse unusable:

File "g:\Clients\Novell\32Unins\unc32.exe": appears incomplete

File "g:\Clients\Novell\32Unins\unc33.exe": appears incomplete

File "g:\Clients\Novell\32Unins\unc34.exe": appears incomplete

File "g:\Clients\Novell\32Unins\u36.exe": appears incomplete

... etc

THe tape drive is clean. There are no viruses and the tapes are fairly new.

any ideas?

regards,

Alex Pejcic

Hi,

Retrospect can only use the built in Windows 2000 Novell client to access a Novell volume. Do you use another client normally?

I susupect that some of the APIs that Retrospect is using are not being correctly interpreted by the Novell server so the files are not actually being copied. I assume that backup and restore of native windows files works OK?

Nate

Yes, I've been accessing Netware volume through Win2K Novell Client. If this is the case, I have to find another backup solution, as I can't change the setup I have. THat means back to Backup Exec or whatever they make now.

thanks for your help

Alex Pejcic

• 11 months later...