What exactly is "Idle/Loading/Preparing" time?

in reviewing my logs, I see that Retrospect spends an incredibly long time on "Idle/Loading/Preparing."

There isn't any detail provided in the log about what *exactly* is going on during this period, so I have to ask--what's going on during this time?

For example, I have a server which gets backed up; it has 4 logical drives. In total, the data transfer takes about 2 hours; however, the backup in total takes about 10 hours. why is this, and what can be done to make it stop? is this the result of teh compare taking a really long time? Is there anything that i can do to speed up this process? It's frustrating to see my backups taking so long on something that I can't explain.

Are you backing up NTFS permissions (on by default with server operating systems)? The backup of NTFS permissions on a large server can take a very long time. Try a backup with this option turned off (options>more choices) and see what the performance is like. NTFS permissions, registry backup, scanning, matching, tape loading, tape rewind are included with the idle/loading/preparing.

How much RAM does the backup server have? How many Files and Folders are on the source disk?

On a Workstation it is no big deal to not have the NTFS permissions, it just leaves everything on the disk with the "everyone" group having full access following a restore.

On a Windows Server this may be a big issue, since resetting permissions of a large busy fileserver could be a nightmare.

The following Knowledgebase record has some good info also:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=26988