Cannot backup Win2k Client

DDD

This problem has occurred twice in a row now where the Mac running Retrospect Server v4.2 can backup the Windows 2000 client v5.6 first time round but cannot see it second time round. There are numerous other clients running Windows 2000 and 5.6 on the network and are not having a problem at all. Plus the TCP/IP on the client in question is working correctly confirmed via pings.

The only way I have had the client backup for the first was by Uninstalling Retrospect, reboot. Uninstall TCP/IP, reboot. Reinstall TCP/IP, reboot. Reinstall Retrospect, reboot. The server could then login to the client and successfully perform an Immediate backup. Once the backup server kicked in the client could not be connected to by the server. I then tried another Immediate backup to no avail. TCP/IP connectivity was once again confirmed.

Any other suggestions because this truly has me stumped.

Cheers

Robert Blackstock

IT Support Officer

My appologies for leaving this out from the original message.

The Error message is as follows:

--

Sorry, can't connect to client

LAPTOP-2K

error - 1028 (client is not visable on network)

--

As you can probally guess the client is a Laptop which leaves the network every night. Could it be possible that the Mac/Retrospect is looking for the Laptop overnight (as we currently have scripts running the backup overnight) and not finding it, then somehow caching or marking the laptop as not seen on the network?

Cheers

Rob

Yes - if the laptop is listed as a backup source in a script that is running at night, and the laptop is not available, Retrospect will log an error -1028 and move on to the next client. If this client machine will never be available for the nightly backup, you should remove it as a source from your script.

Yes that is definately a valid point.

The only problem left now is immediately after I did the reinstall I performed an Immediate backup of the Laptop. This went okay. But during the day when the day script ran the laptop didn't not get picked up. Was listed as 'Source'.

First thing I did was to retry an immediate backup, but I got the same 1028 error. The laptop was also confirmed to be on the network the whole day.

So still have a little problem. :/

Just found another interesting event in the Operations log.

"5/11/2002 5:05 PM: User deferred $[24]$[*!c343,,14,+3]LAPTOP-2K$[25]"

[please excuse the characters, viewed the Operations log on a Windows based machine]

But the problem here is that the User was not at the Laptop, nor was the Laptop even on the network. It was shutdown and in a cabinet at that time. So how could Retrospect have hit the Laptop to get this response when it wasn't there?

This was after the problem that I mentioned above.

Cheers

Rob

If the clients have dynamic IP addresses, make sure you are logging them in via the Backup Clients on Network window (by client name) and not through the Add by Address button.

When you see the error 1028, check the status of the client control panel. What does the status box say? Is it ready or responding?

Also, try forgetting the client from the client database and logging it in again. Are you able to access the client again?

Tried the following:

- Forgot 'Laptop-2k'

- Tried to Add by Address but could not find DNS record for Laptop-2k.

- Added by current IP and another client popped up.

- Forgot that client. Retried adding by current IP and Laptop-2k came up.

- Tried an Immediate backup and worked.

The problems seem that it might be as you say. The clients are on DHCP and some may have been added by 'Add by Address' rather than waiting for them to popup in the network listing.

So I then tried to do the correct method. I opened the Network window and waited for 'Laptop-2k' to appear. But it didn't popup in the usual time. I then tried a 'Add by address' for 'Laptop-2k' and it could not find a DNS record.

We thought that perhaps the '-' in the name was also causing some errors are there has apparent been some weirdness seen before my time here. Upon trying to rename the Laptop we couldn't get it back and ended up having to reinstall Windows 2000 the laptop anyway.

So fun and games all round. After the reinstall I retried to pick up the laptop now called 'Laptop2k' in the Network window and all went fine. It now appears to be working correctly. So it seems that there was a previous problem due to a comptuer being added by address and also DNS problems on the Laptop making life hard for myself.

Thank you for your help.

Rob