Why have a pause button?

RobertX

Why does Retrospect have a pause button? I mean, it's not like you can actually DO anything while the software is paused.

For example, right now I'm in the middle of archiving about 60 gigs of data. An account manager just asked me to retrieve a file from archive. I have two choices - either cancel my archive or tell my CSR that he'll have to wait until the end of the day for his file.

Why can't I pause the current operation and perform another? This feature shouldn't be that difficult in implement. Grrrr.

Rx

Retrospect is a very system intensive application. When running the application on a machine used for other purposes, 'pausing' the backup will free up system resources that may be needed for other processes.

Currently, the program is not multi-threaded in such a way to allow you to make changes in the program while an operation is in progress. This is a great suggestion to post to the Product Suggestions forum!