Backup casues an NT server to go off network

ecrm

I'll be general at first just to see if anyone else has seen this.

I can not pinpoint that it is a specific file, because the backup sets do not include exact backup time and sequence, (and logs can't be made big enough to see the first file that has the problem) but whether using client or network-share during a recycle(full) backup the server that I'm backing up (not the retrospect server) looses all connections to the network (reboot time) and the log fills up with -1116 errors until the volume.

anyone???

Error: -1116 can't access network volume

This is a Windows networking error - not a Retrospect Client error.

One of two things are happening:

1) You are backing up the source via Windows Networking

2) You are saving your backup set to a networked drive

You will never see this error connecting to a client via the Retrospect Client software. Double check your source to ensure that you are choosing it from Backup Clients, and not Local Computer.

If you are storing your backup set on a network drive, make sure Retrospect is configured for custom login to network volumes.

Do the following to edit the launcher service for non-default login:

Windows NT 4.0

1. Open the Services Control Panel.

2. Select Retrospect Launcher, stop the service and then click the Startup button.

3. In the “Log On As” section select This Account. LocalSystem will appear in the field to the right.

4. Change “LocalSystem” to the account you want to use and then enter your password in the two password fields. (This allows automatic backup while logged in as the specified account, or while logged out.)

5. Restart the Launcher Service.

Windows 2000/XP

1. Open the Services Control Panel under Administrative Tools.

2. Select Retrospect Launcher, stop the service and then click the Startup button.

3. In the “Log On As” section select This Account. LocalSystem will appear in the field to the right.

4. Change “LocalSystem” to the account you want to use and then enter your password in the two password fields.

5. Restart the Launcher Service.

My bad for the way I phrased the first post. If you read past the error I made in grouping the part about the server, being backed up going offline happening even when I'm using the client, remains. I had already read the info on the 1116 error and applied the changes to launcher.

Outside of File & Print sharing for Win and Macintosh this server is also hosting DHCP and the volume in question is sitting on a Raid 5 array.

Do you have any suggestions on this matter outside of the FAQ's; does anybody?

I realize the problem may exist with the server itself but I am exploring all possibilities.

• 1 year later...

Still having this problem:

-Backup Server reports -519

-Server being backed up goes off network.

and now that I've upgraded to 6.5.350 it is happening more frequently. It used to happen once during a recycle backup then the Incremental+ backups ran fine. Now it is happening reapeately, it has not completed a "full backup of the entire server yet"

Please Help.

• 2 months later...

Dave, I'm having a similar problem. This is on XP Pro, it gets part way through a backup of a client and gets error -519. It also loses Microsoft networking capability and web browsing, although I can ping remote sites, and renew my DHCP address. I'm guessing that the stress of the backup causes some piece of the networking to fail. For some reason ping and renew DHCP still works, but no other (more complicated) networking works.

I put in a new NIC, tried several version of the driver for both NICs. No help. I'm just now trying it while forcing the NIC to run at 10, rather than 100. I'm hoping that the slower speed will work ok. If it does I'll have to decide if I want to leave it there, or switch back and forth every time I do a backup. Kind of a drag, but at least I'm getting the backups to run..

Rob