206 Error - HELP!!!

Chief

Seagate 24 GB SCSI tape drive w/ W2k and Retrospect Workgroup Server. Works fine to backup. We had a major HD failure spree and went to restore and started getting 206 errors AFTER restoring from Tape 1 of a 5 tape backup set. It stops in the middle of the second tape and reports the error, even though it restored everything from the first tape. The restore was a folder that was being backed up on one of our client volumes.

I used the suggestions for 206 errors:

1. I moved the computer/drive to an isolated location.

2. I switched the Seagate drive to a drive bay less likely to have interference.

3. I cleaned the tape heads NUMEROUS times.

4. The server is on a UPS, which is functioning fine.

5. I ran complete Seagate diagnostic testing complete with firmware upgrade. It performed flawlessly.

Nothing worked.

However, there is an interesting phenomenon: it will let me restore single files from the tapes that I suspected to be corrupt!! Can anyone PLEASE help explain what is going on and what I can do to remedy the situation??? Thanks in advance for any consideration you can offer. This one's left me scratching my head!!!!

-Chief

After removing the 2 TERM jumpers from the back of the drive, it works fine now (Only the hardware terminator is installed now at the end of the internal chain). I also turned on the SEAGATE signal switch on the 10 switch-block (switch #7). This lets the drive signal to Retrospect that it is a Seagate instead of the generic PYTHON drive.

Thanks to contributor ThosPalm for the termination tip. Apparently Retrospect doesn't like this drive terminated using it's internal terminator either. Happy ending!!!!