XP Restore Fails

pgl1

I did a complete restore of Windows XP Professional from Workgroup 5.6. I reinstalled XP Home and Client software and restored entire disk. On reboot client System comes up, retrospect client starts etc but when I try to login is says it is unable to access license information and won't let you login. I have restored the registry info seperately....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Please provide the exact error message. When do you get the message? When you try to log into the system? When you try to log into the client from the backup server?

Also, you indicated you restored the registry information separately? Not through the Retrospect client? How did you restore the registry?

A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code: 0x80004005

This message comes after restoring the system from the server:

1) Reinstalled Windows XP

2) Installed Restrospect Client

3) Restored entire disk

On reboot the restored system won't let me log in and gives that error message.

Peter

You original post indicates that you clean installed Windows XP Home, and the restore failed. Your last post indicates that you clean installed Windows XP Pro and the restore worked.

If XP Home edition is not activated, you cannot install Windows XP Pro over the top, even with a valid license key. A restore with Retrospect would be subject to the same Windows rules.

In the future, make sure the temporary operating system matches the system you are restoring.