Yamaha crw3200e-->error-102

seabass

HI

I'm running retrospect workgroup 5.6 on a WinNT4.0 server servicepack 6a

the server is an 1gz PIII, with a 20gig ide drive on an ASUS 815 Motherboard's ide, + a Siig ATA133 ide card with a Yamaha crw3200e CD/CDR/CDRW drive.

I updated to rdu3.1 from 3.0 which was what installed from the cd.

I bought the drive after making sure it was on the compatible list.

I'm able to burn full cd's with the drive at 24x with 80min fuji 24x media, using the drive's burning software.

When I try to make backups using retrospect workgroup onto that same drive, NADA.

it hangs at different places with (communication error -102).

What gives?

I've reinstalled the system from scratch, did not isntall the cdr burning software.

I've moved the drive to a mirror server with an intel815board using the built in ide bus and still no cigar.

why is this burner listed as compatible on the support site, when it obviously does not work.

I just bought retrospect 5.6, 2 weeks before version 6 came out so I definitly wont be able to convince my employer to upgrade (yes they are cheap); but again this shouldn't be an issue as this yamaha drive is supposedly compatible.

The Yamaha CRW3200e has been fully tested and qualified to work with Retrospect.

All 200-series errors are generated by hardware and reported through Retrospect. The first course of action to attempt to isolate the problem by backing up to a new piece of media. If the new media works, then the previous one(s) may have failed. If you see the error on all media you try, use the following checklist:

1) Try using a different brand of media, if one exists for your backup device. Follow the manufacturer's recommended list of brands.

2) For CD writers, make sure that the device is set to be "master" on its IDE channel, not "slave" or "cable select". Many CD writers do not function well if they are not configured as the master device.

3) Cabling. You may have a bad cable. Straighten or replace the cable that connects the device to the computer.

4) Check the status of the device's firmware. Updating the device's firmware may be necessary. Check the manufacturer's or vendor's website for updated firmware.

5) Was ASPI installed correctly? Run ASPICHK (in the Retrospect Program Files folder) to make sure ASPI is "green" and all components are at version 4.60. If not, try a reinstall (ASPIINST.exe). If you still have problems, consult the Retrospect User's Guide or Adaptec's website.

6) Is this Windows NT or 2000? If so, enable NT SCSI Passthrough to bypass ASPI: From the Retrospect Directory hit Ctrl-Alt-P-P. Under "Execution," check "Enable NT SCSI Passthrough." Click OK. Quit and relaunch.

7) The device itself may be defective. If you have implemented all of the preceding steps and get failures on new media after changing cables, software/firmware and computers, then the backup device, being the only factor that has not changed, is the culprit. Contact your vendor for servicing or warranty information.