Retrospect/Drive not "remembering" mag. contents

Using a Quantum PowerStor L500 with Retrospect 5.6 on a Windows 2000 server.

Having a problem where either Retrospect or the device is not "keeping track" of what tapes are in the magazine.

For example, Tape 1 fills up, so Retrospect moves it back into the magazine and takes one of the blank tapes and starts writing to it, calling it Tape 2.

However, Tape 1 does not show up in the magazine as Tape 1; it shows up as (erased)!

If I do a scan on the magazine, then Tape 1 is found. BUT, until that tapes is *manually* fed into the drive, Retrospect will simply ask for that tape.

Any ideas as to what's going on? I've never had to "instruct" the Retrospect software to "remember" what it has named a tape when it moves it from the drive into the library.

Thanks for your reply, Melissa!

I'm using scripted jobs.

I've got some more information about the problems that I've been having, as well.

It appears to be that Retrospect simply can't communicate with my tape library; the drive, yes--but not the library.

I get errors whenever I'm moving tapes to & from the library, and often, Retrospect will just crash.

however, I can manually load & unload tapes from the library console.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance...

Hi Melissa,

It's a Quantum L500 tape library, with a DLT8000 drive.

I can send a Scan command to the library, but the tapes don't actually move around.

I have to add some MORE information at this point, however.

One of the other techs (in my office) had talked to Retrospect support & ended up disabling the Drive & the Library in the Windows Device Manager.

I felt that this was incorrect, and just re-enabled the Library in Windows; now, everything appears to be working correctly.

Can you confirm whether this should be happening? Should both the Library & the Drive be disabled within Windows? Or, just the Drive?

last question: if everything is working okay with SCSI passthrough, should I bother installing ASPI? Or, is ASPI preferrable?

Retrospect does not depend on any class drivers being loaded in the OS. Generally, problems with loader mechanisms occur when a generic Microsoft driver in Device Manager is corrupt, or if a third-party driver is loaded for the device.

It's odd that reenabling the driver in the OS solved the issue; it's normally the other way around. Regarding your last question, if all is well under NT SCSI Passthrough, there is no need to install ASPI.