Problems with NFS mounted file space

I have an irregular setup. It is a dedicated W2k box saving to file on an NFS mounted partition.

That is the irregular part--the NFS partition is on a data silo. It has holding drives that keep the recently accessed data handy for fast access, and automagically rotates older data to backing tapes. When something that has been moved to tape is requested, the tape is automatically retrieved and the data downloaded back onto the holding drives. This works fine for direct NFS access.

When Retrospect attempts to access stored Backup Sets, it craps out (error -1116--which is something like file not accessible, but I can't get the exact wording right now). I can get around this by initiating a copy of the Backup Set to the server computer, and then cancelling. This gets the file retrieved so Retrospect can access it. Unfortunately, it shoots the idea of automated backups.

Is there any way to modify the timeout? Is there a way to get Retrospect to execute the script that starts a copy to local disk and then cancels?

Thanks for any input.