1,000 GIG limitation on backup sets

• 2 weeks later...

All versions of Retrospect are currently limited to 1 terabyte of data total per backup set. We do plan to lift this limit in a future release of both the Mac and Windows product.

The OS X Preview version of Retrospect does not have a 2 GB limit. The only limit of this sort might apply if you were backing up to a file backup set. The limit might be imposed by the operating system (must be Mac OS 9 or later), the format of the drive (must be HFS Extended) or AppleShare (must be saved to a local drive, not a network drive).

• 3 weeks later...

Irena said:

>All versions of Retrospect are currently limited to 1 terabyte of data total per backup set. We do plan to lift this limit in a future release...

Any guesstimates of when?

I'm about to install an upgrade that'll push my server space beyond that.

Any ideas what to do in the interim?

Thanks,

Marc

Melissa said:

>The future version will address this.

OKÉ Any guesstimates when we might see this?

Even something like "Possibly by the end of this year" would be helpful in planning.

I know you can't make promises, but those of us with big data sets need a clue at least.

Thanks,

Marc

Marc asked, "Any ideas what to do in the interim?"

The obvious move would be to move to more than one backup set. Indeed there can be advantages in splitting up the backup. The basis on which the split is made needs to take into account the cirumstances which give rise to the files, and the priorities in terms of restorations.

E.g. I run 3 backup sets for less than 50GB. The split is made on the basis of the type of client machine. These only need recycling about every couple of years, when the sets get too cumbersome for quick restoration. But most other places only want ready access to last week. And the split could be made on System & Apps vs Doc, or a certain File modify date, or any other number of things.

Follow up on this is probably more appropriate in the General: strategy, scripts etc forum.