Backup not completing

I am using Retrospect v5.6.127. System info NT 4 Server 256 MB RAM 2 HD as follows

SCSI Drive 0-c:1GB (FAT) with 60 MB Free (system parttition)

d:7GB (NTFS) with 1.5GB Free

SCSI Drive 1-g:17GB (NTFS) with 9GB Free Swap file (267 MB on g:\)

Seagate Travan 20 GB int SCSI Backup seens as ASPI

Using the 5 day rotation as posted on your web site.

Using brand new 20 GB tapes

Problem is for the past 3 days, since heads were cleaned, the backup has stopped running at the G: drive. There was one unknown windows error 240 in the log and I cannot make thyme or reason as to why the backup is stopping there. The media is looking for a 2-xxxxxx

tape (xxxxxx-day of week). Are we in a capacity problem?? If retrospect sees a large job ahead, will it halt the job to fit one drive onto 1 tape? Also, why are some days named 2 and others 1?

Also noticed a error "unknown windows error 240 TVol::GetInfo: UGetVolumeInformation failed, S:\, winerr 240, error -1001" Any idea??

Can I also move the default dir of the snapshots to another drive. I have space issues. Thank you in advance.

Jim Trainor

• 1 month later...

re: error "unknown windows error 240 TVol::GetInfo: UGetVolumeInformation failed, S:\, winerr 240, error -1001"

Error 240 mean "The session was canceled. " It looks like the drive S: might be a network drive and the server might have cancelled the connection due to a timeout or something like that.

Either way you shouldn't of seen this code/error in the log.

2-xxxx means that it's tape number 2 of that set. Why is there a tape 2 of one set and its on tape 3 of another? That must mean that one backup has taken more room than another backup, thus needing another tape. That is about all the ideas I can come up with.