Combine Backup Sessions Into One Catalog?

Dekka

Hi All,

I currently do a backup into a backup set called "Drive D" now I keep updating this backup every week (Incremental?).

However every time I do this it does the backup correctly and creates a new SESSION under the Backup Set.

The problem is there is getting so many sessions under that backup set is there no way to combine the SESSIONS into the one file so I can just click the file and it will RESTORE ALL the sessions in one go instead of restoring each individual session until I have restored all my files back onto the drive.

2nd question: When doing a restore does it always have to create a directory (The same name as the backup set) and restore the files into that. Is there no way of restoring files from a backup set into the original directory and path that they were backed up from without it creating its own directory and restoring the full path under that directory?

Many Thanks

D.

To your first question: the short answer is no. The long answer is that the intent of the Sessions is to have an unbroken record of activity in that Backup Set. the Sessions of a Backup Set. When you're doing a restore, and your situation may be different, you usually don't *want* files from every session, but from a particular session. A restore of a file from every session would mean a copy of that file from every single time that it was ever backed up--that can be quite an imposing number. Granted, there are situations when it might be warranted.

2nd question: I know there is, but I'm not sure of the precise option(s) to select to make that happen; it doesn't happen if you restore a full disk, or to original location, I believe.

It's sounds liek you've been using the default restore option for your restores. Experiment with the other options for more flexibility.

"is there no way to combine the SESSIONS into the one file so I can just click the file and it will RESTORE ALL the sessions in one go?"

If you want to restore all files, try a restore by search and leave the search criteria blank. This will find and restore all files in that backup set.

"Is there no way of restoring files from a backup set into the original directory and path that they were backed up from?"

You can use the Restore Entire Disk option for your restore. If you are only restoring selected files, when you select your destination, change the pull down menu from "Replace Entire Disk" to "Replace Corresponding Files". This will only overwrite the files that you are replacing and won't erase or overwrite others. For more details on the restore options, see your User's Guide.