"content unrecognized"

Hi there!

I am having the same problem but with DDS-4 Tapes, I myself have not been able to find a reasonable explanation to this problem.

Have you found any particular solution that works? if you have could you please inform me!!!

Regards Mark

What Operating System? What brand of CD media are you using? If you are using a generic brand, try going with a quality brand, such as TDK, Verbatim or Sony.

Content Unrecognized means that there is no viable Retrospect data on the CD-RW. What happens if you hit the 'Proceed' button when this error pops up during backup? Does the backup continue?

These errors are reported by the hardware itself and can be an indication of many things. I've listed below some things to check for when getting these kinds of errors. I suspect that with a little troubleshooting you'll be able to isolate and fix the problem.

Have you tried other brands of discs? Often problems like this are due to drives that are picky with regard to brand of media you use.

Try *temporarily* uninstalling any other CD-writing utilities, in case extraneous drivers are conflicting with Retrospect. If you are using DirectCD, this can cause a conflict; I've included directions below on how to disable some functions of the software that may interfere with Retrospect.

Turn off the Auto Insert notification for Windows. This feature makes the operating system automatically mount a CD on the desktop when you insert it, but can interfere with Retrospect. To disable it, right-click on your CD drive in the device manager.

Was ASPI installed correctly? Run ASPICHK (in the Retrospect Program Files

folder) to make sure ASPI is "green" and all components are at version 4.60. If not, try a reinstall (ASPIINST.exe). If you still have problems, consult the Retrospect User's Guide or Adaptec's website.

Try straightening out the internal ribbon cabling.

Try switching master and slave settings.

Try new internal cabling.

Try updating the firmware on the device if possible (see the drive manufacturer's website).

Are the drivers for the IDE controller current? Try updating them with an approved update from your PC vendor.

Finally, try bringing this drive to another PC and trying the backup. If it works here, you could be having a problem with either the ATAPI bus on the original machine or with the PC itself.

-----------

Disabling Direct CD and Easy CD Creator

There are three possible scenarios:

1) You have both components of the program (Direct CD and Easy CD Creator)

2) You have only Direct CD

3) You have only Easy CD Creator

Do you have one or both components installed? Go to Start -> Programs, and look for Adaptec Easy CD Creator. If it is not installed, look for the second component of this which is in the system tray (bottom right hand corner of the screen). This is the Direct CD Wizard.

If you have Easy CD Creator and it is not in the system tray you can put it there by launching Easy CD Creator from Start -> Programs -> Easy CD Creator. This will then give you an Easy CD Creator Title Screen. You can add it to your task bar by right-clicking on the Title screen. In the next screen, select "Add icon to tray," which should then put an icon into the system tray. It will look like a CD with a musical note. To disable this, right click on the icon and select disable create CD.

The next part of the program is the Direct CD wizard. It is an icon found in the system tray and looks like a CD drive with an ejected CD. To turn off the disk creation options for blank media, right-click on the icon and select properties. In properties, select the Direct CD wizard, then uncheck the Display disc creation options for blank media. This will stop Easy CD creator from launching when a new CD is inserted.

Archived