remote shutdown of clients

twohats

According to the Retrospect 5.6 manual the product does not support client shutdown (after backup) because "most PC's require a hardware button be pressed to shutdown". That might have been the case some years ago, but nearly all PC's made in the last 4+ years will support a soft shutdown.

I am requesting Dantz add this feature to help us users save some energy costs!!!

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Even better would be to provide a way to handle what might be termed "client backup events", with the ability to launch a process or script at each event.

Suggested events would be:

Client Backup Start

Client Backup Complete

Client Backup Abort

Client Backup Error

Clent Volume Start

Client Volume Complete

Client Volume Abort

Client Volume Error

This would allow the client to shutdown certain processes that might be holding open files (for example, on my workstation I run a developer copy of MS-SQL Server that holds open files that I want backed-up. I often forget to stop the service before leaving for the day).

Having these events would allow me to write scripts that would shutdown SQL Server before the client backup started, and then shutdown the machine entirely when the backup had completed.

Thanks for considering this!

• 2 weeks later...

Retrospect has the ability to use external client scripting.

In the User Guide on page 193 you will find instructions on "Implementing a Script with a Retrospect Client." It explains how to use external scripting with a Retrospect client.

Melissa

• 7 months later...

Archived