-1028 client suddenly not found

Hi there, hoping for some further troubleshooting advice:

Retrospect 5 running on X-serve, OS 10.2.8

mixed workstations , mostly mac, mostly 10.2.x

4 workstations (G4's) OS 10.3.2, client 5.1.109, successfully backing up and restoring since 12/03

1 of the 4 began giving me -1028 errors about a week ago, and I'm stumped.

I've repaired permissions on the client and server, uninstalled and reinstalled the client, created a new user, tried to connect with the client launched, not launched, user1, user2, sitting at login screen.

I've changed ethernet cables, swapped ports on the hub. but to clarify: it's on the network. filesharing is functional. no firewall enabled. condition the same with either static or DHCP ip. client not visible.

any help?

What are the results of a ping? OS X has included a network utility in the Utilities folder which can ping between the server and the client. Have you had a chance to see if this test is sucessful?

Is the client turned on? Is the client located any place other then the default location (Applications/Retrospect Client/)? In the StartupItems folder (/Library/StartupItems/RetroClient/) is a unix shell script that's hard coded with the path to the Retrospect Client's default location.

If you want the client to be kept somewhere else you can edit the shell script to reflect your custom location. Users will sometimes rename or move the client folder.

• 4 weeks later...

Have not been able to get retrospect to connect with any of our OSX 10.3 machines.

Checked Dantz site and found the following:

"If either machine is running Mac OS X 10.2 or later, check the Firewall setting in the Sharing preference pane. If it is on, be sure that Retrospect's port (497) has been added to the list of allowed services."

I have turned on port 497 but can't figure out how to add it to the list of allowed services. It would appear to be done by using the Directory Access utility but how?

Thanks for any help

Michael

I'm having the same problem, but from OSX 10.3.3 tryin gto backup to a Windows XP client.... Where do I check if Ports are open (no firewall running on the Windows machine I think). This started since I moved to connecting wirelessly, rather than thru ethernet... Can that be an issue?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have tried all the ideas posted here to get a Windows XP client to show up on a Macintosh 9.2 server. Unchecked fire wall, deinstalled client, reinstalled client, upgraded client to latest edition, told Retrospect to "forget" the client (now it won't even show up). Any other ideas? The client worked fine for 6 months. The only thing I did lately was to install a CheckPoint VPN-1 secure client connection in order to access a Web statistics package on a customer's site. Howver, this is not a firewall--just a client access module and anyway it is not activated now. I hope someone can help me--I am at the end of my rope.

I don't know if this is related at all. A week ago Friday I was able to backup from my Win2000 client (using the 6.0 retroclient) to my Mac (10.3.4 running Retrospect 6.0.193) with no problem. This week the client doesn't show up online. I rebooted both machines several times, I "forgot" the client, and it can't be found on the network. Testing the IP address from the Network dialog says there's no client running (but I can ping each machine from the other).

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the 6.0 client several times with no success. I've tried the 6.5 client and it *does* show up in the network listing...but I have an independent problem with the 6.5 client I've documented elsewhere in Dantz's forums where Retrospect hangs on the Mac trying to mount a new volume in the backup set, so I've been forced to downgrade the client to 6.0, which up until this past Friday, was working just fine.

The only thing I can think of is that I installed the latest batch of Win2000 updates this week. I don't know when it appeared (this week's updates?), but now the Win2000 machine shows a Network Firewall component in the Network Properties for the ethernet port.

I found a reference in Dantz's knowledge base about the retfwset.exe file to allow the client to pierce the firewall, but it refuses to run since I'm not using WinXP.

I'm stumped!

Any suggestions?

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

I have had a similar problem.

I tried to login a client using Windows server 2003. I was running version 6 or something, and the client didn't show up on the network at all. When I went to the Retrospect control panel, the options were alternately grayed out and not grayed out, it kept flashing!

I updated the client to the latest version and then the client became visible on the network. The control panel was acting normally. When I try to log the client in, I either get a -1028 client not visible on network error or a -507 wrong password error.

I can ping the client, so that's not the problem. I know for sure that I'm typing in the correct password.

The client machine has 3 ethernet cards installed.

http://www.dantz.com/en/support/kbase.dtml?id=26643 has some information on changing the registry settings for the client machine. I may wind up trying that. But first I'm going to try to force Retrospect to bind to a specific IP address. Here's how to do that:

Open the Run menu and type: retroclient -ipsave 0.0.0.0 (substituting the actual IP address for the zeros).

I have no idea if this will work, but I figure it's worth a try.