Dantz Launches Retrospect 6.0 for Macintosh

Does 6.0 address this issue? If not, will there be a 5.1.xxx fix?

TITLE: Backup Set Transfer and DVD Media

Article ID: 28096

Date Created: 2003-10-29 Date Modified: 2003-10-29

Discussion

Users may experience an issue when trying to transfer a backup set to DVD media with Retrospect 5.1. Retrospect may not [does not] use the entire capacity of the destination media before asking for a new piece of media. Dantz is aware of this issue and is currently investigating a solution.

Quote:

1. I have an annual maintenance contract. When will I get the complimentary upgrade and will this be a CD or just an electronic copy? We need the CD to be able to do a proper emergency restore.

2. Does "Panther support" now include the scrollwheel on my mouse? This has been missing for awhile

1. The annual support and maintainece contract allows for an electronic update. I believe the CD can be purchased for a nominal price.

2. We are still addressing the scrollwheel issue. It has not been resolved in 6.0.

Quote:

We just payed a healthy sum to get the 5.0=>5.1 upgrade for the Server version last month -- a mere *two weeks* before the 6.0 announcement. What kind of break do we get on the 6.0 upgrade price?

The price of upgrades went up December 18th, so anyone purchasing then or after is entitled to a free upgrade.

From November 18th to December 18th, those who purchased an upgrade need to pay the difference in upgrade prices only.

Quote:

Discussion

Users may experience an issue when trying to transfer a backup set to DVD media with Retrospect 5.1. Retrospect may not [does not] use the entire capacity of the destination media before asking for a new piece of media. Dantz is aware of this issue and is currently investigating a solution.

Yes, Retrospect 6.0 fixes this issue.

To reiterate some of the previous questions:

What is meant by "supporting" Panther? For example, as in OS9, can we utilize file Labels now in selectors?

Is there a detailed, technical list of the other improvements available?

I see the new version includes better performance and more functionality in the backup hardware. This is all well and good, and represents a win for the corporate marketplace. For the advanced personal user, however, this is somewhat disappointing... personally, I'm disappointed that there is no enhancement in e-vaulting funtionality. There are issues with the ftp technology, and it's impossible to tunnel over ssh because of the way the client is implemented. The file backup is similarly problematic because there is no way to efficiently "chunk" pieces that can be managed by scripts on a server (and it's no piece of cake to move that securely, either).

Finally, triple-DES is good, but there have been advances in crypto (I'm thinking AES) that are more scaleable - I wish there were some more options there, too...

There are two features I'm direly hoping are in Retrospect 6:

1) A feature I've long begged for -- add a built-in SMTP engine to Retrospect so I don't have to rely on using the user's own email program to send me backup logs. This has caused me all sorts of problems.

2) Someone else asked earlier -- but I did not see a response -- will Retrospect 6 be able to backup my Windows users' Outlook.PST files without them closing out of Outlook first? I doubt it -- looking for a workaround to deal with that issue, still.

I asked about this:

2) Someone else asked earlier -- but I did not see a response -- will Retrospect 6 be able to backup my Windows users' Outlook.PST files without them closing out of Outlook first? I doubt it -- looking for a workaround to deal with that issue, still.

They said "no". Which is somewhat of a disappointment as that was in Windows 6.0, wasn't it?

The "workaround" they say is to get a PC and run the PC version of Retrospect. FWIW...

Quote:

urza311 said:

There are two features I'm direly hoping are in Retrospect 6:

1) A feature I've long begged for -- add a built-in SMTP engine to Retrospect so I don't have to rely on using the user's own email program to send me backup logs. This has caused me all sorts of problems.

Me too. Can Amy or Mayoff (or anyone from Dantz) confirm that this feature is in v. 6?

Also, there was a question above about labels in Panther. Does v. 6 fully support Panther's labels?

Quote:

ill Retrospect 6 be able to backup my Windows users' Outlook.PST files without them closing out of Outlook first? I doubt it -- looking for a workaround to deal with that issue, still.

The Macintosh does not have any type of Open File Manager or the ability to shutdown programs on Windows, so the Mac product can not backup any open files on a PC.

Retrospect for Windows has an open-file addon and also includes an option to automatically close email before backup.

Quote:

mbizer said:

You can already use labels in selectors! That has been true since 5.0, I believe.

You're right... that's been true of OS 9's labels (notice that if you look at the label selectors now, they say things like "Essential," "Hot," ...). The question is whether or not 6.0 supports Panther's labels (which use names defined in the OSX Finder prefs).

So Dantz? What's the status of labels?

Quote:

The Macintosh does not have any type of Open File Manager or the ability to shutdown programs on Windows, so the Mac product can not backup any open files on a PC.

I'm confused. The client on the windows PC is perforce a Windows program, even if it is talking to a Macintosh server. So, can't it shut down running programs (on instruction from the server), or indeed, do anything else on a Windows system that a Windows program can do?

Quote:

Drishmung said:

I'm confused. The client on the windows PC is perforce a Windows program, even if it is talking to a Macintosh server. So, can't
it
shut down running programs (on instruction from the server), or indeed, do anything else on a Windows system that a Windows program can do?

I was confused about the same thing...seems to me that the Retro Client would be handleing the tasks and functions on the client...so it shouldn't matter what server is backing it up.

-Ric

I purchased RE 5.0 and after upgrading to Panther lost Retrospect support for my LiteOn IDE/ATAPI CDRW. So I purchased the paid upgrade to for Retrospect Backup in November in order to have Panther support for that LiteOn drive (which indeed now works). What do I have to pay for "real" Panther support (i.e. what is the 5.1 to 6.0 upgrade price for November 2003 Retrospect Backup upgraders?)

(edit)

Oh, another thing. "Panther support" - If my hard drive goes south today (using Retrospect Backup 5.1 under Mac OS X 10.3.2) can I actually use my current product to reinstall an entire bootable hard drive image onto a replacement hard drive from my 5.1 backup discs? Or am I just wasting my time doing backups at this point?

Quote:

AmyJ said:

Quote:

Discussion

Yes, Retrospect 6.0 fixes this issue.

and when will come a free bug-fix-update for version 5.1 and those people, who do not want to buy version 6?

Joerg

En réponse à:

AmyJ said:

En réponse à:

We just payed a healthy sum to get the 5.0=>5.1 upgrade for the Server version last month -- a mere *two weeks* before the 6.0 announcement. What kind of break do we get on the 6.0 upgrade price?

The price of upgrades went up December 18th, so anyone purchasing then or after is entitled to a free upgrade.

From November 18th to December 18th, those who purchased an upgrade need to pay the difference in upgrade prices only.

So what about a client how bought Retrospect Express (in bundle) in end of december?

Does he recieve a free upgrade ? Or is there any way to get it ?

Emmanuel

En réponse à:

AmyJ said:

The free OEM Express version of Retrospect does not qualify for a free upgrade to 6.0. Upgrade pricing is $59.95.

So why deliver an old version OEM ?

The client by a new product but hasn't got the new software ?

I just upgraded a few days ago from the latest version of Retrospect Express to Retropect Desktop 6.0. After skipping 5.1, I thought that the bugs and problems Retrospect was having with Panther would be ironed out. Well they were, except for the unexpected behavior of the "duplicate" feature that essentially promises to create an exact image of your backed up volume.

Unfortunately, if you have filevault enabled as I do on my PowerBook, you are in for a real surprise. It will no longer duplicate (i.e. create an image) of your user folder if filevault is enabled. It is still bootable with your existing password, but all of the contents in your user folder are missing upon reboot in the Retrospect 6.0 created boot disk.

I checked the Dantz web site and the User Manual. All it says is that the special steps you now take to guarantee a solid "back up" (without mentioning any feature changes for the "duplicate" feature) is available only as a back up. It never states explicitly that this feature is now disabled when attempting to "duplicate" a bootable volume when filevault is enabled and as such a "duplicate" no longer creates an image of your volume.

The least Retrospect could have done is to warn users of this changed behavior, In fact, Retrospect can no longer claim that it can create a bootable backup volume without the caveat that filevault MUST BE DISABLED. Today I accidentally I deleted a large folder on my desktop by mistake and needed to access my backup hard drive "duplicate" that I created yesterday to retrieve it. It wasn't there!!

Do I have this right, or is the duplicate feature no longer working for filevaulted systems with this new version?

• 1 month later...

I'd like to delve further into the backing up of outlook.pst (or any open files for that matter) on windows clients.

AmyJ mentioned a "Outlook Backup add-on from Microsoft" in an old post.If MS can make a little addon, couldn't Retrospect client for windows have a feature where it launches a similar temporary back-up script for outlook.pst on the client before doing the whole backup to the server?

Can the Outlook Backup add-on be scheduled to run daily in order or does the user have to run the program every day before retrospect client starts? Has anyone got this working smoothly? I obviously want to avoid any user-dependant solutions, users aren't very dependable... wink.gif

Any ideas are appreciated!

/eric

The $70 upgrade cost for the 5.0 > 6.0 upgrade is extortionary. I will explore any and all backup options instead of paying Dantz this unjustified amount. .Mac begins to look much more attractive after getting this news.

It's interesting that there is no "thumbs down" icon in the set Danyz provides. Guess why.