Client on Panther will not stay on.

uninstall and reinstall does not work. We have about 40 computers backing up to our server right now. 25 of which mac os x clients. The mac os 9 and pc's seem to be working fine. We are running mac os 10.2.8 and some are running 10.3.1. The client shuts off on restart of both types of systems. We have also ran into a problem where sometimes the client has that the drive is in use by root, and just hangs there. We have to turn off the client then turn it back on and do another backup.

I know they said there will be an update at Macworld, but thats over a month away. We are spending close to an hour everyday trying to keep our systems backed up. We bought retrospect so we wouldnt have to worry about it everyday. So we hope that if Dantz has an update now that will fix some of these problems, that they would release it. I hope they are not holding but just for the announcement at macworld. These are serious issues and need a serious solution, work arounds arent getting the job done. Just my two cents, from a concerned user.

Brad

It sounds like the client software is not auto-starting.

1) Is the client still in the default location? The startup script has the location explicitly in the script. Try executing this in Terminal and post results:

ls -al /Applications/Retrospect\ Client/

2) Is the startup script there at all? Try executing this in Terminal and post results:

ls -al /Library/StartupItems/RetroClient/

Quote:

We have also ran into a problem where sometimes the client has that the drive is in use by root, and just hangs there. We have to turn off the client then turn it back on and do another backup.

I have seen that happen after the server has a problem (like crashing or power failure), the client thinks it is still in use. It should not happen normally.

This one work for the clients not staying on:

"1) Is the client still in the default location? The startup script has the location explicitly in the script. Try executing this in Terminal and post results:

ls -al /Applications/Retrospect\ Client/"

We moved most of the clients retrospect apps to the Utilities folder so they werent as likely to see it.

We are still having trouble with out server crashing after running a script for a couple hours. It may be our RAID card and the way they are striped. We are still doing some testing.

Thanks for now, may have more questions about the server soon.

Brad