Hello,

I'm Duplicating an OS 9 drive while booted from that drive to an external fireWire drive that has been partitioned into 3 drives. The duplication process seems to work just fine, but during the process the Finder informs me that the backUp drive can no longer be used (even though Retospect desktop is still using it) because of a -110 error. After I quit Retrospect Desktop, The firewire drives unmount. the only way to get them to mount is by restarting. All seems to have been duplicated though.

I never had this problem earlier. Is this important? can I fix this? Will it cause me problems later if I need to duplicate the fw drive back to the internal SCSI drive?

Thanks,

Jim

Can you provide more specific information about the Error -110? What does your log say in parentheses after the error?

Retrospect accesses mounted volumes through the OS. That the drive is unmounting during an operation could indicate a conflict, corruption or communication problem among other things.

Boot with Base Extensions, plus any extensions required to access the Firewire drive, and run the duplicate again. Does the problem go away? If so, this would indicate an extension conflict.

Try reformatting the drive, preferrably with the software that came with the drive (if any), and perform the duplication again.

If this is on a Firewire hub, try removing it and plugging it directly into the computer.

Try a new Firewire cable.

Try the Firewire drive on another computer - if the same behavior replicates, your drive may be going bad. As this operation worked previously, the goal is to systematically rule out the varibles until you find the one that causing the problem.

Archived