Error: assertion check at "elem16.c-687"

Can any one tell me what this is?

I am on a Mac OSX 10.4.9 and am trying to back up a client on a pc and when I do i get this error code always! I have checked the retrospect clent preferences on the pc and everything seems to be in order.

It is just when making a (running the script)back up thru the mac.

I have no idea where to start, the knowledge base had no information on this error code.

Any help/advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

hi m,

as far as i know there is no Mac OSX 10.4.9 (yet).

could you supply the curious with the following?

OS--both server and client.

version of Retrospect-->please include RDU and such

client version

what kind of backup you are doing and to what kind of device (tape, HD, etc), and the interface (scsi, fw, usb, etc).

help us help you.

10.3.9 - My err.

I am running retrospect 6.0.204 (Mac) and the client is on windows 2000 (vers 6.5.136)

I am backing up to an external harddrive and dvd (for off site storage).

Now that you bring up this, The versions do not seem quite right do they! - I had a Retrospect technician work with me and an issue with backing up to dvd (didnt see the drive) and ever since then, coincidently, it hasn't backed up the client - but the drive works!

ok... Suggestions??

hi m,

sorry to have been away. does the error happen when you back up to both the hard drive and the DVD burner? and can you give an indication as to when the problem happens, for example, if it's in the initial scan of the client, during the copy phase, or during the compare phase?

first thing i'd do is download 6.1, and the latest RDU. they are free upgrades, so try that first. i think i'd leave the Windows client as it is right now, but if you upgrade and are still having the problem, try "forgetting" the client and readding. you may want to even try a reinstall of the client for good measure.

post your results here.

WELL I HAVE TRIED TO GO IN AND JUST RUN A SCRIPT THAT I HAVE GOING DIRECTLY TO THE EXTERNAL HD. THIS IS WHEN IT POPS UP - I CAN'T EVEN GET IT STARTED.

I HAVE WENT INTO CONFIGURE/CLIENTS AND THE PC IS ON THE LIST. WHEN I CLICK ON IT AND GO TO CONFIGURE , UP POPS THE WARNING WINDOW "TROUBLE IN RETROSPECT, INTENAL CONSISTENCY CHECK FAILED: ASSERTION CHECK AT "ELEM16.C-687"

YET IF I CLICK ON NETWORK AND SEE THE PC IN THE LIST IT SAYS RESPONDING, IF I HIT TEST IT POPS UP WITH THE IP ADD. WINDOW AND CHECKS OUT OK. BUT IF I HIT CONFIGURE IN THIS WINDOW IT SHUTS DOWN WITH THE WARNING AGAIN.

IF I DOWNLOAD THE 6.1 IS THAT GOING TO MESS WITH MY DVD DRIVE I HAD A HELL OF A TIME GETTING IT TO WORK. I HAD TO WAIT 6 MO BEFORE RETROSPECT SUPPORTED MY LACIE DVD DRIVE (DVD-RW DVR-107D, USING THE DRIVER "PIONEER DVD RW 5.11" – THE ONLY ONE THEY DIDNT HAVE SUPPORT FOR) AND WHEN I SPENT $90 BUCKS LAST TIME ON TECH SUPPORT THE TECHNICIAN SAID THAT THERE WERE MORE CURRENT UPGRADES BUT THAT HE WOULD STICK TO THAT ON FOR THE DVD DRIVE ISSUE.

WHATEVER THAT WAS.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP - I NEED A GURU FOR THIS ONE, HOPE YOUR IT!

hi m,

i'm not sure why you feel it's necessary to post in all CAPS but it may be that i'm not the guru for you. i'm just not here enough anymore to go as in depth as you seem to need. remember, this is a community board, and we've all got day jobs.

also, there is no way i can guarantee anything. i do like to help out, but you may need to call support again about this issue. i don't know why they would tell you not to update the program.

Well, Thanks for your suggestions so far, as far as the all caps... well I have a day job too and the one I was working on required all caps on a brochure, and I forgot to turn off the caps lock.

No offense intended.

Again thanks for you suggestions thus far.

I will research further.

M.

I have the same problem! I just started using Retrospect a couple of weeks ago.

Retrospect (Version 6.1.126) runs on a Mac with OSX 10.4.6. I also have two clients - a Mac and a PC running Windows XP 2002 (SP2) with Client version 7.0.107. They are both connected over a wireless network and the backup is to a Maxtor external drive.

For the first ten days or so, everything worked perfectly. The last successful backup I got was on the morning of April 28. The first client in my list is the remote Mac, and it continues to backup correctly every night. The PC is the next client, and Retrospect quits immediately when it tries to start this part.

I've checked the Windows hard drive for errors as suggested in the Knowledge Base, but it is fine.

From the Retrospect Drectory window, if I click on Configure and then Clients, both remote machines are shown. If I select the remote Mac and check the various configuration options, everything is as it should be. However, if I select the remote Windows machine, the "General" window shows "Client Desktop" as the Backup source. Then, if I click on "Configure", I get about one second of processing and then the message referred to above. If I click on "Volumes" the same thing happens.

In terms of things that changed around this time:

1) I made one change to the standard EasyScript - setting the backup to occur seven days a week instead of only five.

2) I think there might have been an automatic Windows update. I have these set to happen automatically, but I think I remeber seeing a pop-up message one morning around that time notifying me that Windows had done an update the previous night. I'm not much of a Windows user, so I don't know if there is any way to confirm this.

Hi

Probably not relevant. But thought I'd post in case someone else is searching for info "assertion error". I ran into assertion check errors when I forgot I was using a 300gb Hard Drive in a PowerMac G4, it and many other older macs only support the first 128GB of the drive, even if the drive has 280gb on it from being used in another machine. Everytime I want to access the catalogue I got an assertion check error. So I had to buy and Install the Hi-Cap ATA 6 driver for Mac from SpeedTools.

Matt

You can check pretty quickly by going into Disk Utility if the drive reports as only being 127 / 128 gb then your machines needs the drivers. What is your machine?

As if a program (Retrospect) requests a read / write to anywhere on the drive after that 128gb you'd get errors. Remembering that drives dont start at block 0 and write to disk sequentially. They write to available space near where it was last performed a read.

My error is almost identical to MavisG's

I too noticed now that you brought it up the timing in that I too changed my script scheduling time the same day that I got off the phone with the Retrospect tech over my dvd driver issue that we finally got to function.

I changed it from writing every day to once a week, still writing to my external MaxFW 185G drive. So the change of script scheduling seems to be what did it for me as well.

I am running retrospect 6.0.204 (Mac) and the client is on windows 2000 (vers 6.5.136)- nothing changed here from when it functioned las other than the dvd driver update (but I do not think that was it). I am still strangely curious about the versions that are running on my Mac vs the PC (client).

Haven't found any asnwers yet, but will keep digging.

Thanks for the input, hopefully we'll figure this out!

M.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just ran Disk Utility and it reports a Total Capacity of 233.8GB for my Maxtor external drive - so I don't think the driver's the problem.

Also, it's hard to believe that changing the backup schedule couldbe the cause!

I'm going to switch the order of tasks in my backup script so that the Windows machine is last. At least that will make sure that both Macs get backed up, and if it works, I think we'll know that this problem has something to do with Windows rather than anything else.

You need to "forget" and reestablish each defective client.

Go to Clients -> Network and then forget then configure the clients causing the problem.

To test a client go to clients --> click on the name and then click configure. If retrospect bombs, that client is causing the problem. You can also see which client it was by looking at the logs.

THANK YOU JUSTINIAN!

Just for the benefit of anyone else who may encounter this problem, let me report that it is now solved!

The trick was in realizing that the client was disconnected. The Windows client seemed to be acting normally, and so did the main Retrospect program. I suppose the fact that the error appeared instantly when I attempted to check Configuration or Volumes might have been a hint that there was no communication here, but it would have been nice to get a more informative error message!