Norton Filesaver?

I use Norton FileSaver on my Macs. As I understand it, the information it saves is located in a hidden file or files. When I run Retrospect, I can see that these saved files are extremely large (tens of megabytes). By itself, this is no big deal (in these days of large drives for cheap).

However, since this very large Norton FileSaver file is changed every time I log out, Retrospect sees it as a changed file, and by default backs it up. Since I do this every day, the vast majority of the tape space (and backup time) is actually taken up by this Norton-generated file (compared to files I've actually changed myself directly).

Some may question why one needs to use Norton FileSaver if one is backing up regularly, and while I've had it save an otherwise trashed drive in the past, I'll admit this is a debatable question. Opinions on this would be appreciated.

If, on the other hand, I choose to continue to use both Norton FileSaver and Retrospect, would it be reasonable to *not* continue to back up the Norton FileSaver files? And if so, how do I specify them (since they're hidden)?

Any info/advice/experiences would be appreciated!

-- pjs

• 3 weeks later...

Hi PJS-

I can see the sense in using FileSaver and Retrospect on the same computer. Undeleting can be a lot more convenient than restoring when you only need a file or two. And if a major disk failure occurs, undelete isn't going to help you, but a full restore will. So there is some logic in excluding the FS file.

Using selectors, you can exclude all invisible files using "Flags". If you just want to exclude the FileSaver index, exclude files with the invisible flag set and a file name of whatever that file is named. I don't use FileSaver so I'm not sure exactly what it's called.

??????

--------------

Using selectors, you can exclude all invisible files using "Flags". If you just want to exclude the FileSaver index, exclude files with the invisible flag set and a file name of whatever that file is named. I don't use FileSaver so I'm not sure exactly what it's called.

Stuart Gripman

Crooked Arm Consulting

www.crookedarm.com

Dantz Solutions Provider (Mac OS)

------------------

Stuart, What exactly does that statement mean?

I'm going to attempt to explain something below & to do it I'm putting < > around any word

that you can make a choice in the Exclude area.......

I see if I go to Edit script/ Selecting button I can choose More Choices, then choose Exclude Then , then next window flag set.

Will doing this will exclude all invisible files? If so is that a good thing to exclude all invisbles?? Wouldn't I just want to exclude specific invisibles???

Hope I'm explaining this clearly enough....

retrobutch

Archived