Retrospecty 6.1 Freezing During Backup Mac OS 10.4.5

Thanks Dave. I've been asking myself the same question and there's nothing that I can think of. I agree the upgrade appears now to be coincidental.

I've been reluctant to rebuild the catalog - in the past this has usually led to a totally unreadable catalog and it ties up the machine for a long time. By saturday though I'd run out of other options and was able to set this going while there was nothing else going on (I know it shouldn't make a difference...). That done I have a bit more info:

The behaviour with the rebuilt catalog (10 members, only the last of which has been written to recently) is no different. Any kind of restore from that catalog causes a crash. But other catalogs don't - I did have freezes from the 2 or 3 catalogs that I tried at the beginning but that's not the case now.

The rebuild log shows 1255 lines of the form

Backup set format inconsistency (4 at 132061920)

Backup set format inconsistency (4 at 132102880)

Backup set format inconsistency (4 at 132143840)

Backup set format inconsistency (4 at 132180192)

which I assume must be the problem but the process appeared to run smoothly to completion. These errors appeared in the log over the whole rebuild period, beginning during rebuild of tapes that have not been written to for many weeks, long before there was any problem. Can anyone shed some light on what this error implies?

There's just one file on the failing catalog that I need and of course it is only on that backup.

Am I stuffed?

Thanks

David Hoffman

I have now read through all my posts on this and have repeated a number of tests that I made earlier. Ther is a lack of consistency in the results from the first few days and my reports have been a bit muddled and repetitive.

I have edited it all back into a single and (I hope) clear description of the repeatable observations that I am finding. For clarity I will start a new topic "restore failure from one backup set".

If I have not tried the patience of those here too far I'd be grateful if you could take a look at this new post and see if there is anything that you can suggest.

David Hoffman