An incremental backup of 60G on an 80G internal HD can take only a few minutes, but the preceding scan time seems forever. Is there a way to speed up the scan? Thanks.

[Retrospect version 6.0.204; Mac OS 10.3.9; 750MB RAM; backing up 60G from internal 8OG via Firewire to OWC HD 250G.]

In order for Retrospect to copy only files that have changed, it has to look at every file and compare them to what it has already copied in past backups.

If you're backing up the entire hard drive, it has to scan the entire drive.

Since backup needs are different for different users, there's no one answer. But one thing you can do is define your Home directory as a sub-volume, and use that for your more frequent backups. Then run the whole volume backup less often, under the assumption that things such as /System/ and /Library/ change much less often then /Users/

You can use different Scripts, with different Sources, that all write to the same Destination.

Dave

Hi.

Are you comparing a Mac and a PC with about the same number of files and about the same age? I mean an old Mac with 300,000 files compared to a brand new hi-tech PC with just 50,000 files, who "wins"?

After the scanning and backup of a PC, Retrospect has to build a "snapshot" which takes much longer than the scanning. Have you taken that time into the equation?

Regards

Lennart

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Hi.

Are you comparing a Mac and a PC with about the same number of files and about the same age? I mean an old Mac with 300,000 files compared to a brand new hi-tech PC with just 50,000 files, who "wins"?

After the scanning and backup of a PC, Retrospect has to build a "snapshot" which takes much longer than the scanning. Have you taken that time into the equation?

Regards

Lennart

Yes - roughly equivilent hardware, and equivilent file numbers...

It *seems* faster, though I haven't actually measured it. I shall at my next oppertunity.

However, *perception* is very important - and it seems to be faster on Windoze...

jeff