"check media" hangs / Unable to eject from desktop

Hi

I'm using Retrospect version 6.1.126 with Driver Update 6.1.2.102 on Mac OS Tiger 10.4.2 on a G5.

I hope I can explain this clearly...it's an intermittent fault, doesn't always happen. Usually towards the end of the day, I launch Retrospect then quit in order to check media for tonight's script. Often but not always, Retros will hang while trying to access the DVD drive; checking Activity Monitor shows that Retros at this point is using 95%+ of the CPU. When this is happening, I also can't eject the DVD from the Desktop. It doesn't matter which I try first, they don't work. I need to restart, then it all works fine.

At some time between restarting the Mac and the end of the day, _something_ causes the drive to latch onto the disk and refuse to give it back. Retros cannot back up either, as it can't see the disk after it's checked the first client.

I've tried various combinations of opening/not opening assorted applications but cannot narrow it down to any one specific app. interfering. I use the usual combination of Quark, Photoshop, Illustrator, Mail, Safari, Acrobat, Dreamweaver... it seems to be time-related rather than just launching an app. triggering the problem.

Anyone seen similar / know what my problem is? Didn't have this problem under Panther but didn't have it to begin with under Tiger either and haven't upgraded any major apps since. Can definitely get $$ from boss for Retros 7 if we know it'll fix the problem.

Oh, my DVD drive is a Pioneer 107D built-in, which shows as ok on the devices list for Retrospect. And it worked just fine for ages until something happened...

thanks in advance.

katie