-108 error (not enough memory) with latest client

Background: Latest version of Retrospect Server backing up 4 OS X Servers (8 volumes total) over the network to file backup sets on FW drives. latest version of Retrospect client is installed.

Retrospect issues the -108 (not enough memory) error when scanning the DataHD volume of one of my servers. This was listed as a recent bug fix with the 6.1.107 client, but I did not have this problem occur until recently (i.e after I updated to 6.1.107)

This is 723 GB volume with 197 GB of data that needs to be backed up. (The volume is actually a slice of a RAID 5 array - no problem backing up the smaller slice (20GB))

Any Suggestions?

Thanks

hi todd,

i don't think the problem is the amount of data, but rather the number of files. do you know how many files are on that volume? i don't think Retrospect can handle over a certain amount on each volume (i think it's over a million, maybe 1.5 million).

you'll probably have to subvolume that disk to back it up with Retrospect.

Hi,

it is a 'Removable disk' backup set type, external 500GB firewire LaCie. The whole backup set is about 350 GB (20 clients) and it is a 'new backup'. The errors also occur when doing incremental 'normal' backups. This error started to appear with 6.1, if I remember correctly (and the switch to Tiger).

many thx,

jan

NateW asked:

What type of backup set are you using and how big is it? How many snapshots and files does it contain?

But jan answered only the first part.

As waltr also tried to convey, the number of files/folder is what uses memory, not the size of the files written.

I seem to recall reading some other memory related issues with large Removable Backup Sets. Remember that this Type of Backup Set was originally designed for small volumes (floppy, Zip, Jazz, etc). The ability for Retrospect to "Use hard drives as removable disks" was added in version 5, but it may have some limitations.

Is your backup plan to continue writing to this 500GB disk, and then to add another hard drive to the Backup Set when the first disk gets full? Only then does a Removable Backup Set make sense.

On the other hand, if your backup plan is to Recycle the Backup Set when it gets closer to filling the Destination Volume, then you should be using a File Backup Set.

If Retrospect 6.1 behaves differently with Removable Backup Sets then 6.0 did, then it's probably a bug (only methodical testing can prove this to be the case). I doubt that anything was supposed to change other then the wording in the Preferences dialog box!

Dave