Retro 6.1 fails to backup from G5 Dual 2.0 to external 8x d2 LaCie FireWire DVD drive?

Quote:

my NEC 3520AW, which seems to be qualified on PC but not tested on Mac

Where do you see that?

When I plug "3520" into the Storage Device Keyword Search field I get three responses, one of which is a NEC DVD drive (the other two are tape drives). This NEC ND-3520AG drive is listed as qualified on both Mac OS and Windows. Searching for "AW" returns no results. Is the 3520AW listed someplace else?

Yes, I found that one. Don't know what the "G" stands for though. The drive started out as 3520A and later got DL support through a firmware update and the name changed to 3520AW.

Bummer, can't find 3520AW anymore either. But i did search using the popups below the search box. When you just select NEC in the first one and then hit search the lot shows up and it's easy to see that there's quite a difference between the PC and Mac columns.

But it's all a moot point I suppose, because the drive just won't do anything with Retrospect, besides opening and closing the tray. On custom config it seems to "see" that a disc is inserted and it goes to "determining writing method" or some such, but nothing happens. No spinning sound, it just sits there and after a few seconds the spinning beachball appears and it's listed as not responding in the force quit window.

Three different brands of media, it makes no difference. If only i could figure out the "why". I do have a second internal HD installed besides my FW pocket drive, but I can't imagine that that would make a difference. Machine is DiskWarriored weekly etc. Drive is "vendor supported", but that's for i-apps I think.

It's driving me mad, it's probably something really silly. The latest thing I can think of is the jumper settings on the internal drive. I think it's on "cable select" instead of "master". The machine supports it and the previous drive was on it as well and worked fine with Retrospect. And Retrospect sees it alright, it just won't or can't work with it. Vewwy frustrating...

Thanks for trying to help me out Dave!

OK, the drive is now set as Master instead of Cable Select and cables are checked. No change though.

But... and sorry for nagging, I thought about something else. You see, I have a second internal HD that sorta is a clone from the disk I normally startup from. Meaning, there is also an installed version of Retrospect on that one (through a Retrospect Duplicate run). The idea being having installed software and docs backed up that way too and I have a second startup disk that way. However, it seems that although that second HD is not my startup disk it somehow does interfere with certain things. For example, I noticed that my TechTool scheduled protection cycles run twice instead of once. Like the one on the second HD is doing its thing also. I have always thought this to be impossible, since the disk is just supposed to sit there and be quiet.

So am I mad or is there a way that my setup could interfere with my internal DVD burner and confuses Retrospect? Any gurus around who can answer this one? I trashed both Retrospect and Techtool from the second HD, but then I might have missed some files.

In a way I wish my problems are caused by something silly like this. I'll try again tomorrow before I order the new Lacie erternal burner (I think). Hmmm, it wasn't in the new Driver Update yet as far as I can see.

Quote:

Quote:

So the bottom line is that current state of the art with EMC's Retrospect 6.1.126 and the LaCie drive that I purchased brand new July 26, 2004, only allows for extremely slow backup on 1x DVD media.

Although you truncated the quote, the example as written does not suggest that _only_ slower media would work. It seems to suggest that one particular 1x media worked and one particular 6x failed.

>If the NEC ND-2510A doesn’t support a particular media, the drive can cause IO errors.

Since this comes direct from the hardware manufacturer, I'd suggest that you try other high quality media, especially Taiyo Yuden. Heck, send me a snail mail address (off line, please!) and I'll send you a single 4x DVD-R; I just bought 300 of them (free shipping!) for my 4x iMac G5 drive (which only burns 2x for other brands).

If you have success with the 4x, then their 8x might work, too.

Dave

Thanks very much for the disk and your thoughtfulness, Dave. Retro hung for more than a half hour with the Taiyo Yuden disk in the LaCie drive connected to my Dual Processor G5 2 GHz. The same 4x disk fed into a Sony DVD RW DW-Q28A drive within 17 minutes had completed 7500+ files or about 1.1 GB.

LaCie's drive previously failed to work with Retro with diversity of speeds of both DVD-R and DVD+R disks, all from Verbatim.

Although I feel let down by what I've personally observed of LaCie's support of their hardware, I deeply appreciate the support of EMC Dantz and the contributors to this forum.

Respectfully, Norm

• 3 weeks later...

My friend's problem seems related to this thread. Last year I got him a LaCie 16X d2 DVD +/-RW LightScribe Firewire drive, mainly for use in backing up his eMac. (I have an older LaCie d2 DVD +/-RW Firewire drive, which has worked fine for burning on my Blue & White G3 under OS 9.1; however I back up to tape using Retrospect Workgroup on another Mac.) I thought my friend might prefer a LightScribe drive, but in fact he never has used that feature--mainly because the LightScribe DVDs are more expensive. He also has been using DVD-RWs, for the same reason. He runs under OS X 10.3.9.

At first the backups worked fine for him using Retrospect 6.0 desktop, which I also got him. However, over the last few months, he's been having more and more cases of Retrospect not recognizing that the external Firewire drive is connected. At first I would try it again when I came over to his apartment, and I'd eventually get Retrospect to recognize the drive and run a backup. However last month things got so bad that I swapped my non-LightScribe drive for his (which I could do because I now have a new Mac with a built-in DVD-RW drive). Retrospect on his eMac recognizes my drive just fine.

The fact that his drive worked at first makes me think that his drive has developed a hardware problem. I have contacted LaCie; their first reply was that I should update a half-dozen software items and try again. I did that on his eMac last night, but Retrospect still wouldn't recognize his drive--which I brought along. In addition, OS X 10.3.9 wouldn't mount his backup DVD-RW when I booted his eMac, before I started Retrospect. Many minutes after I had quit Retrospect, the backup DVD-RW finally mounted on his desktop.

The last time I could get Retrospect to profile his drive, it showed it was an NEC DVDRW8651. I note that Retrospect still--over a year after it was introduced by LaCie--still doesn't support that mechanism.

David H.