Cannot connect to Mac after 6.1.126 update

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> I wanted to publicly thank Ernst Mulder for being the one to identify the cause of this problem.

> It was very helpful since we were unable to reproduce the issue at EMC until he posted his findings.

Wow, thanks :-)

I couldn't have done it without the info others provided on this forum of course! Thanks to everybody looking into this problem.

Ernst Mulder

• 3 weeks later...

I have an even weirder (if there is such an word) I have 8 Mac OS X Clients and 1 Windows Client and all except for one Mac OS X client can't be configured until I did permission fix with the Disk Utiltiy from Apple and it appeared to fix it once. I did get it to backup an nearly full backup but he needed to go home so he stopped the backup 80% through. All the other systems I have configured and backup no problem. I have updated that system to 6.1.107 according to Retrospect says should fix this problem and still nothing. This client is running 10.3.9 and the others are running from 10.3.9 to 10.4.2 and I have no problem these other guys. I can use "test" the IP address and it comes back seeing the system and the correct version of the client but I can't configure. There must be something wrong on how the client is accessing the system or there is an permission problem that system won't let Retrospect configure or access the volume to backup.

What gives?

No. I've double checked and the Retrospect install had put in the exception for firewall so I don't think it is firewall. However if it was the firewall I wouldn't connect at all but I am able to show connection from the server using test from configure clients. I even see the client's version so I think there is some problem with seeing the volumes and other files needed by Retrospect client. This is the only system I have problem with. Any other ideas are welcomed.

I found my problem. What I did was I moved the old Retrospect 5.* client and it associated folders to the Old Retrospect folder and then installed the new Retrospect 6.* client. But what I fail to remember is that I had the client as part of the login in account login so it always wanted to start the old Retrospect client. Now I replace the login client witht the new Retrospect 6.* client and it now works. I think a wild guess that the laptop owner put the old 5.0 client back into login for some unknown reason.

I hope this helps.

The Retrospect Client application never has to be set as an account login item, as the actual process that's used for client communiations is entirely different, and is not account specific.

The client installer puts a script in /Library/StartupItems/RetroClient/ that handles starting the necessary process after restarts. The client application is only a configuration and status utility.