Cannot connect to Mac after 6.1.126 update

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have exactly the same problem. My Macs are OS X 10.4.2. I updated one of the Mac clients too.

Adding by address doesn't work either. Retrospect sees my Macs on the network

but that's all. The Mac client configuration doesn't work.

The Windows client is OK but the Mac clients don't work. Neither the updated nor the old client.

Having same problem here. Was running 6.0.212 Server on OS X Server 10.4.2. Upgraded to 6.1.126 and I cannot configure my Mac clients. In "Add by address.." it connects, but I still cannot configure. When I click the "Configure" tab, I get the gear icon for a few seconds, then the "Net retry" dialog.

I quit 6.1 and launched 6.0 again, and I can see and configure Mac clients just fine.

I tried manually upgrading one Mac client to the new 6.1 client, but this didn't improve anything.

A "tcpdump" does show several packets from server.randomport to client.dantz and back.

Clients are all Tiger except one Panther client.

I am having the same problem. All clients are 10.4.2. I let Retrospect 6.0.212 communicate with the clients, which can take up to 10 minutes to work. Then I told it to update the Retro client, which it finally did. But even with the Retro Client updated to 6.1.107, it still takes Retrospect several minutes to connect.

I have no error messages except that it keeps re-trying connecting and then gives up.

Obviously, due to several reports above, something must be wrong.

Are there any successes with client connection with the new versions?

I also tried turning on/off firewall temporarily on both backup server and client but this didn't help

Thanks, Paul

Same here.

The just released new 6.1.126 version of Retrospect has trouble communicating with my OS X clients. Retrospect 6.1.126 reports Net Retries when it tries to connect with OS X clients, sometimes the connection succeeds but is EXTREMELY slow. It doesn't make any difference whether the clients are version 6.0 or 6.1. Communication with Mac OS 9 clients was fine. Retrospect 6.1.126 does see all the clients when I click on Network in Configure Clients. When I click on one of the found clients the trouble starts.

When I check Netstat whilst Retrospect 6.1.126 is trying to communicate I see an established connection on TCP port 497 but nothing seems to get through. We use 3COM switches (of various types), other than that nothing special, we have a 255.255.255.192 subnet.

When reverting to version 6.0.212 of Retrospect the problem disappears immediately. Also, Retrospect 6.0 does seem to be able to communicate with 6.1 clients, so I updated my clients anyway.

Oh and the server is 10.4.2, clients 10.4.2 and 10.3.9.

Mine was also exhibiting the 'Net Retry', and not behaving in such a way as to leave me warm and fuzzy.

But, it was seen in the client window as "Responding", even though I couldnt configure it, I just left it on to do it's overnight backup, and I figgered I'd look at the log in the morning and slog on from there.

Remoterd to the backup machine this morning, and WTF? The log was happy, the backup completed succesfully, and now the clents can be seen/configured... they just needed to sleep/play overnight to get themselves together... ?

Anyway, It seems ( gulp! ) that all is well on the new Retrospect/Client front, and time to move on to other disasters...

What will tonite's backup do? Stay tuned.....

jeff

...crossing fingers...

Uninstalling/reinstalling the client worked for me.

I hope there is a better way than this! Reinstalling the client requires that the backup server "forget" the client, which of course removes it from any scripts like backup servers and such. i.e. you have to redefine all your scripts.

Also, won't the backup server have to then backup the entire machine again?

On odd note: After reinstalling on one machine, I was then able to connect to ANOTHER client (which I hadn't touched). I couldn't connect to any others (except the "odd" one and the reinstalled client).

Hi,

I'm having trouble reproducing this issue.

A couple questions:

How are you installing the clients? Manually running the installer on each machine or pushing the update over the network?

If you are pushing the update over the network, how many clients are you trying to update?

My setup:

I have a 10.4.2 Server upgraded from 6.0.212 to 6.1.126 with 8 OSX clients (mostly running Tiger). According to the above posts, this happens with both the 6.0.110 client and the 6.1.107 client so I have a mix of both client versions and I'm able to scan and access those clients without any issue.

We're seeing the same problem here as everyone else. Our 6.1 server can see all the updated clients and using the "Test" button we can connect to them. But, when you try to run a backup job you just get "net retry" dialogs. I don't have this problem with my Linux or Windows machines, just the Macs, which are all running 10.4.2.

Opening 6.0.212 on the same machine allows everything to be configured and backups run without a problem. Sounds like a big bug.

I had the same experience.

Problems with 6.1 client connections which could be fixed by using the last 6.0 version. The communication problem existed with the latest 6.0 client as well as updated clients

I too am looking forward to a solution which will not require re-installing clients and all the attendant work that requires.

The Uninstall/Reinstall tests does multiple things at once, making it difficult to recognize which was the fix.

- It replaces the client software with new software (duh)

- It stops and restarts the client

- It forces the client to be logged into Retrospect fresh

So, someone seeing this problem should attempt to test these one at a time.

The least distructive test would be to kill pitond and restart it again. This can be done from the Retrospect Client application by holding the Command key while clicking the "off" radio button. When the Status field reads "not running," click the "on" radio button (any other reading in the Status field means pitond was not killed).

The next test should be to Forget the client from Retrospect, and add it back again.

If neither of the above makes any difference, un-install and re-install the clinet.

Dave

I can confirm that Unistall/reinstall client software, then forget/add clients to server did correct the problem for me.

I had the same symptoms as above with all OSX clients (X.4.2).

I possibly should have unistalled the 6.0 client before installing the 6.1 client, but this not normal MacUser behavior.

Thanks for your help

Rob

I don't believe the problem is on the client side; otherwise the 6.0 server wouldn't be able to connect to 6.1 clients either (it can). This makes me think it is a 6.1 server issue, which is cleared up when forgetting and re-adding the client (no matter what version the client is running)

BTW, I also found that the following also works:

1. Use the 6.0 server software to update the client to 6.1 (note that the server can still communicate with the client after the update)

2. On the client, stop the client software (or kill pitond from command line)

3. Remove /Library/Preferences/retroclient.state

4. Startup the client GUI application and turn the client on

(you'll have to set up the password)

5. on the server, "forget" the client and add it again.

This isn't easier than uninstall/reinstall, but I think it demonstrates that the problem is on the server.

Quote:

We tried all of the above tests on several 10.4.2 clients and the only thing that worked was uninstall/reinstall.

Hopefully the pool of possible testers doesn't run out before the actual cause is discovered!

My Gut Feeling would be that simply replacing the existing pitond binary with a new version of the same file isn't the true solution.

One thing I left out of my original list is that an un-install/re-install would generally include a reboot of the client machine.

Two more good tests then might be:

- Reboot client machine; test

- Forget client machine from Retrospect Client Database; reboot client machine; add client to Database; test

Quote:

Two more good tests then might be:

- Reboot client machine; test

- Forget client machine from Retrospect Client Database; reboot client machine; add client to Database; test

I tried rebooting the client machine after the 6.1 update -- this did not resolve the issue.

I did NOT try leaving the client at 6.0, forgetting the client and adding the client.

I hate any solution which requires me to forget the client for the following reasons (please correct me if I'm wrong)

1. Any scripts (including backup server scripts) would have to be edited to add the forgotten/re-added client

2. ALL data on the client would have to be backed up again, because the prior state is forgotten. (???)

Quote:

I hate any solution which requires me to forget the client for the following reasons (please correct me if I'm wrong)

1. Any scripts (including backup server scripts) would have to be edited to add the forgotten/re-added client

2. ALL data on the client would have to be backed up again, because the prior state is forgotten. (???)

Forgetting/Re-adding the clients would not be a solution, only just a stop-gap to get people updated right now, and/or an testing direction to help discover where the process is failing. The fact that at 10:30 PDT this morning Dantz had not yet reproduced the problem shows that they are trying to find out what's wrong, and will likely either fix it or provide a long term answer.

File matching in Retrospect does not depend on the machine identity; so files on your client machine would not have to be recopied if it gets a new client install. But the script issues are as you describe them.

David

I tried to update the client by "push", from Retrospect 6.1. No joy.

I updated the client by manual install.

I could not establish a connection with the client. I tried rebooting the client. I tried restarting Retrospect. I tried doing both at the same time. No joy.

Looks to me as though the problem may well be on the server end, rather than the client one, since the initial push install failed.