not enough memory with 4GB RAM already???

Any helps are appreciated.

Half an month ago, Retrospect refused to work and complained (-108 not enough memory). So, one more GB RAM are installed. It still has the same problem without a single successive run.

Our machine is Mac OS X 10.3.8, 4GB RAM, 2GHz CPU. The version of Retrospect is 6.0.204. The full data set is around 3 TB. All other applications are shutdown except of Retrospect when the backup is running.

Thanks.

Thank you.

yes, the error message is "error -108 not enough memory". The source is a subvolume. I am not sure the exact number of files, probably 30k. The backup is an incremental one. The screen shows that the sources "Not yet scanned".

What's Wbat mean? I know Retrospect we have has device Access version 1.0.106, driver update version 5.9.104

>The source is a subvolume. I am not sure the exact number of files, probably 30k.

>The full data set is around 3 TB

So confirm that your Source (the subvolume) contains around 30,000 files for a total of 3 TB?

> The backup is an incremental one.

> It still has the same problem without a single successive run.

If you intended to state that you haven't have a single _successful_ run, then you can't have an incremental backup until you've had an initial full backup.

There's something that you're leaving out.

Dave

hi donglu,

there is a big difference between 30,000 and 3,150,000. can you confirm that you are now changing your # of files to 3 million 1 hundred and 50 thousand??? otherwise shorthanded as 3M + 150k (150k being 5 times 30k)?

retrospect will get an out of memory error somewhere around 1.5M (about half or less of 3,150,00). that may just be your problem, but since you've had problems with numbers i can't confirm. you may need to subvolume this to get the backup to work.

in a word, no. you'll need to subvolume these to get the number of files in the backup. the problem is that when Retrospect goes to do the backup, it will count up all of these files. it builds a list, but a list of over 1.5M will be too big for the current program. although the limit is supposed to be 1.5M, i would shoot for a lower number to be on the safe side. these backups will take quite a while.

i would imagine that this will be addressed in a future version, but i have no idea when that would happen.