"Closing" message in Duplicate

Ran a Duplicate backup on Friday night. Sunday I trip off another, just to make sure there have been no changes, because I have other housecleaning to do on the drives.

I expect to see no files copied or other significant activity. However this time the dialog box says "Closing", which I have never seen before, and it displays a rapid succession of file names. The Remaining and Copied counts both remain at zero.

What is being "Closed"?

thx

JB

I get this "Closing" or sometimes "Finishing restore" nonsense too. there's no explanation of it. I see it finish the copy or restore job, and just when you think it's done, it blows thru hundreds of thousands of files at breakneck speeds, doing who-knows-what. My guess is it is setting permissions or attributes on those files. Why it can't do that *during* the copy or restore is beyond me. It's a nuisance becauuse it adds a considerable amount of time after the job has finished. Perhaps it's not such a problem with smaller jobs, but my duplicates and restores are oftentimes massive in both size and file-count, and having this extra "closing" or "finishing" step is a pain.

>there's no explanation of it.

Yes there is.

>just when you think it's done, it blows thru hundreds of thousands of files at

>breakneck speeds, doing who-knows-what.

I do! I do!

>My guess is it is setting permissions or attributes on those files.

Awww; no fair. You guessed it!

>Why it can't do that *during* the copy or restore is beyond me.

One reason is because Retrospect stores unix permissions in the Snapshot, not with the file. That way if a file's permissions change (and not the file's structure) Retrospect doesn't have to copy the whole file over again.

Dave

Quote:

>My guess is it is setting permissions or attributes on those files.

Awww; no fair. You guessed it!

Dave

OK, how about including that time in the progress bar? The backup says it's finished, but it's "Closing" forever (or so it seems). As a user you have NO idea if it will be finished in 15 seconds or 45 minutes. Should I wait or should I go to lunch?

>>there's no explanation of it.

>Yes there is.

>>just when you think it's done, it blows thru hundreds of thousands of files at

>>breakneck speeds, doing who-knows-what.

>I do! I do!

All I meant to say was Retrospect does not inform the user what it's doing (or why) when it's closing. It's very disconcerting to see the progress bar finished, with 0 files remaining, and watch it do this 'closing' procedure, sometimes for a good length of time. This process should be included in the progress bar and something more descriptive than 'closing' should be displayed. If it said 'Setting file permissons', we may not have threads like this.

For testing reasons, I just restored a single file to verify its permissions. Once the one file was restored, Retrospect ran thru the 'closing' procedure, and a few hunderd files zipped thru the progress window. None of those files were restored, so there's nothing to set on them. So what was *that* about?