"not enough space" error -34 breathing room?

I'm trying to do my usual incremental backup to a file set on a partition on an external drive. The partition is the same size (if not bigger) than the drive I'm trying to backup (Mac HD). There are 8.21GB available on the partition (the remaining space taken up by the existing backup file. I have had no problems up until now- does retrospect need a certain amount of "breathing room" on the destination drive? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Here's the log:

? Retrospect version 6.0.204

launched at 8/19/2005 2:52 AM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 5.9.104

+ Executing Immediate Backup at 8/19/2005 3:03 AM

To backup set Powerbook 2 Backup…

- 8/19/2005 3:03:21 AM: Copying Macintosh HD…

Not enough space for selected files.

About 21.3 G more required.

8/19/2005 3:03:47 AM: Execution incomplete.

Remaining: 34955 files, 29.5 GB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:26 (00:00:19 idle/loading/preparing)

hi ted,

i'm no math expert, but Retrospect says it is backing up 21.3gb, and you say the partition has only 8.21gb. Retrospect says that's not enough room, and i'd tend to agree.

you should check your source and see why this is the case. did a lot of your files change? you can check the space in immediate backup by clicking 'files chosen' (i believe, doing this from memory). you may need to recycle that backup set if it's grown to large for you to add all this data to.

In the past, retrospect has simply overwritten the existing backup file with no problems. While some of my files have of course changed, I don't believe it's anywhere close to 8.21GB worth. I tried a Recycle backup to no avail. I finally had to delete the backup file completely (damn) from the partition and start over with a new backup. Any ideas?