"catalog out of sync" error every time i try to back up

I'm using Retrospect 6.0.212 with Retrospect 6.0 Driver Update 6.5.102 on a Macintosh G5 with Mac OS X Server 10.3.9

The backup destination is an Exebyte VXA-2 U1 firewire.

I can create a new backup set from freshly-erased tapes and do the initial backup with no problem, but the minute i try to do subsequent backups, i get a "catalog out of sync" error.

The error box tells me to run Tools > Repair > Update existing catalog file.

I hit ok, select my backup, the tape loads, i tell it "no more members" when it asks and the Recatalog execution appears to complete sucessfully, though it says "0 files" and "zero K"

Then, when i try an immediate backup, I get "catalog out of sync"

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi,

Do you have the Exabyte VXA-2 1x10 1U Firewire loader?

If so, please verify that you do not have any emulation turned on with the loader.

If you're still having problems, please post the your device environment by going to Configure > Devices > Device Status and listing what you have including the firmware (version).

Yes, it's the Exabyte VXA-2 1x10 1U Firewire loader.

Emulation is set to the default of "native"

The Firewire devices are as follows:

ID: Firewire-A

Vendor: Exabyte

Product: VXA 1x10 1U

Version: A108

Driver: Exabyte Library (5.02)

ID: Firewire-A

Vendor: Exabyte

Product: VXA-2

Version: 2107

Driver: Exabyte VXA DC (5.04)

I don't know if this is the cause, but your firmware on your Exabyte VXA-2 1x10 1u is a bit out of date. The current firmware rev for the AutoLoader is A109 (5/4/2005) and the current firmware rev for the VXA-2 drive is 2109 (6/16/2005). Just as a datapoint, I have the SCSI version on a new Xserve G5 and am not seeing the problems that you are seeing. Our configuration is Xserve G5 1 x 2GHz, Mac OS X Server 10.4.2, Retrospect Workgroup 6.0.212, RDU 6.5.102. Only oddity that I see is that you have to do a manual device rescan after boot because Retrospect doesn't see the tape drive or autoloader. You might try updating your firmware and see if that changes anything, but it's hard to see how the Exabyte firmware would affect the Retrospect catalog. Regards, Russ

I updated the firmware on the VXA drive and had the same problems, but here's a development: After going through the ringer with Dantz (they had me downgrade to 6.0.204, upgrade the driver, etc), Exabyte and Apple tech support, Retrospect is not the problem.

I moved the whole tape drive setup to another G5 Powermac, this one running the non-server version of Mac OS 10.4.2, and everything seems to be working perfectly.

So, is upgrading to Tiger the answer?

Well, we're not ready to plunk down the $500 to upgrade the Server software to 10.4 Tiger, but we're not sure that'll solve it, either.

I can't really find any known issues with 10.3.9 Server, Retrospect and the VXA-2 drive and I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

The machine is on has a history of hardware problems. it arrived DOA, had the motherboard replaced and still crashes somewhat more than it should (that is to say, it crashes occasionally, but should never crash).

Assuming all goes well tonight, we're doing a network backup of our server for now, but would really like to get this working attached to the server machine itself soon.

Any thoughts on if this could be hardware-related or if upgrading to Tiger would solve it?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Simply a follow-up for completeness: when we ordered our Xserve G5 it had the standard BTO Apple dual-channel Ultra320 SCSI option (LSI Logic 22320 SCSI card that is an option on the AppleStore Xserve order site). We replaced that card with an ATTO UL4D dual-channel Ultra320 SCSI card, and all of the SCSI problems disappeared. So the need to manually rescan devices after a reboot wasn't a Retrospect problem after all. Just to correct the record.