cd/dvd device problem

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting this with the same version and the latest RDU on all of my optical drives. The system is an Aluminum Powerbook G4 15" with the internal DVD+RW drive, which doesn't recognize any of my old Retrospect discs although the drive does show up in the program (when I load a disc it says "Incompatible"!!!). I also have an external Que! 4x DVD-RW and an external Que! CR-RW... if I try to configure any of the three drives, it asks for a disc, says "Checking writing method..." and just sits there laughing at me. I have to force-quit the program (which shows as "Not responding"), sometimes it has written on just a wee bit of the drive and sometimes not at all.

I had a hard drive failure last week so I have a fresh install of OS 10.4.2 and a fresh install of Retrospect 6.0.212 with the latest RDU65.dmg installed. What's going on?! blush.gif

Hi

I'm having exactly the same problem with a G5 20" iMac with a Pioneer K104L Superdrive, latest version of Tiger and Retrospect installed. Try to configure the Superdrive to burn DVD-RW and it just hangs saying "blanking disc" having inserted a brand new disc (left for eight hours just to be sure).

The DVD-RWs are 4x and made by Imation- they burn and erase in the Finder with no problems.

Thanks

Dan

Here's the 3 devices I have:

TEAC DV-W50E

QPS CD-W540E

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-825 (internal drive)

The weird thing is, prior to my hard drive crash last week I had no problems with the internal drive using Retrospect. I'm hoping Drivesavers can get my data recovery by week's end, maybe I can just copy the drive configurations over from that backup and all will be well. But clearly there's something amiss here, my problem is exactly as Dan describes above but with a completely different system...

Hi

Just so you have the exact details of my set up:

Mac OSX 10.4.2

Retrospect 6.0.212

Driver Update 6.5.102

Dantz quote the following Pioneer drives as qualifed - I'm assuming it's the DVR-104 but it is the very latest Apple dual layer DVD drive I may be mistaken

Pioneer DCR-111 (Apple version) ATAPI CD-RW/DVD Combo

Pioneer DVR-103 (Apple version) ATAPI DVD-RW

Pioneer DVR-104 (Apple version) ATAPI DVD-RW

Pioneer DVR-105 (Apple version) ATAPI DVD-RW

Pioneer DVR-106 ATAPI DVD RW

Pioneer DVR-106 (Apple version) ATAPI DVD-RW

Pioneer DVR-107D ATAPI DVD RW

Pioneer DVR-108 ATAPI DVD DL

Pioneer DVR-109 ATAPI DVD DL

The system profiler specifies the drive as follows:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K04L:

Firmware Revision: D441

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)

Cache: 2000 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL

Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes

Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media: No

Otherwise the problem is exactly as JRB describes, any help would be much appreciated.

Dan

Hey Dan,

Are you trying to configure your drive under a fresh install of Tiger? (Or rather, an install from the 10.4 disc that's been updated via Software Update to 10.4.2) I have used Retrospect since my first Mac in early 1994 without a single problem which is why this one is really shocking me. I had no problem configuring the drives using past OS updates, I think I was probably under Panther when Retro 6 first came out and I had to configure the drives. I have a G5 here also which works just fine but it was configured with Panther also originally. I can't help but think that this has something to do with Tiger...

Hi

Brand new computer with Tiger installed by Apple then updated using software update. Agree that it's probably a compatability issue between Retrospect and Tiger. I've been running Retrospect with an external firewire drive with no problems at all.

Would be great if someone from Dantz or a moderator could offer something.

Dan

Thanks, that confirms my suspicions also. But you'd think there would be way more people here complaining about it since the support options are so ungodly expensive. doh.gif

Just for the record, I've repaired disk permissions, restarted from the Tiger disc to repair any issues with the hard drive and today I even did a safe boot just for giggles (the results were the same). So I'm narrowing it down to 10.4.2 and Retrospect, I think.

My next plan is to take my external drives down to an old G4 I have with Panther 10.3.9 installed and configure them there, then copy the configuration to my Powerbook and see what happens. Can't hurt to try...

UPDATE: As predicted, the configure works with my TEAC DVD-RW under 10.3.9... it seems to definitely be something amiss with 10.4.2. I was able to configure the drive on my old G4 and copy that over to the Powerbook with 10.4.2 and it actually recognized the drive, but when I stuck in a disc the program hung trying to read it. So, I guess there's something more that needs to be done here... frown.gif

JRB

I've been thinking about this some more and had wondered if my drive was unsupported by Retrospect, however you have three different (older ?) drives that also don't work so it must be a Tiger/Retrospect problem.

Is there any way of getting Retrospect to look at this forum ?

Dan

Hey Dan,

I have used both my Powerbook G4 internal drive and the TEAC DVD-RW for sure in the past with Retrospect, the TEAC is a 4x burner that's a few years old. So I don't think that is the issue, it's definitely some bugaboo that's unique to a fresh 10.4.x install with the most current version of Retrospect... I think we'll be swinging in the wind here until one of us coughs up the $$ to pay for support to do something about, sadly...

Hi Nate,

Yes, I'm especially perplexed about the internal Powerbook G4 drive which used to show up as MATSHITA or some such but now shows as PANASONIC (I know they're the same thing but it's still odd). I have deleted all of the .rdi files and still only the internal PB drive appears, and when I insert one of my old backups it simply says "Incompatible". I had to plug my PB into target disk mode on my G5 in order to restore some of my old backups, but that's going to be a real headache if I have to do that for backup also.

I'm using the same DVD-R brand that I always have from CDROM2GO.com, it's USDM brand or some such. Never had a single problem before...

Hey Nate,

Well, that will be a big surprise to my Powerbook, which has happily burned a great many backup discs with Retrospect for the last year and a half. ;-) But it does explain why the internal drive is suddenly unable to read my old backups. I must have done a custom configuration originally, but it does work despite what Dantz has to say!

Seriously though, that doesn't explain why the other two drives are unable to be configured... all three exhibit the exact same symptoms so there's got to be something amiss in the software...

Thanks for your input, at any rate. Gonna have to cave in and pay for Dantz support if Drivesavers doesn't successfully recover the data from my old internal hard drive... :-(

Quote:

Gonna have to cave in and pay for Dantz support if Drivesavers doesn't successfully recover the data from my old internal hard drive... :-(

I would guess that the $70 that Dantz charges for a support incident would be a lot less then what Drive Savers charges for data recovery services. The guy who owns the place really enjoyes his exotic spots cars...

Dave

Hi

The fact that the discs are no longer recognized is very likely the reason EMC Dantz was unable to support DVD media with this drive. If a drive/media combination proves unreliable it will not be supported.

When you go to configure->devices->device status you will see all the devices listed. Do they have anything listed in the driver column?

Thanks

nate

Quote:

I would guess that the $70 that Dantz charges for a support incident would be a lot less then what Drive Savers charges for data recovery services. The guy who owns the place really enjoyes his exotic spots cars...

Sadly, I don't have a choice since my last backup was July 16 so I lost a month's worth of vital data... :-(

• 1 month later...

Daniel / Nate

Looks like we have the same machine, iMac 20" with Pioneer DVR-K04L superdrive, running 10.4.2. I have had no joy getting the drive to auto-configure using verbatim dvd+R (8x) media.

Did you find a way to successfullly auto-configure the drive or are we just waiting for updated drivers from Dantz?

James