Tiger 10.4.1 - Retro keeps crashing - HELP

Quote:

Quote:

Boom! Now I have the tree-c.3444 assertion check

One of the threads here suggested the answer is to exclude /Library/Preferences/Retrospect/ to the Spotlight privacy list.

Can you try that and see if the same thing happens?

There is no /Library/Preferences/Retrospect/ on that computer. I assume that's because it's just a Retrospect client.

More testing is in progress.

An update: I made /Applications a subvolume. Backed it up fine to a test Backup Set. Then did a backup of the entire volume to the same Backup Set (file on a firewire harddrive) - I wasn't sure if it would know the subvolume was really a subvolume of the disk now being backed up and not back up those files again but it does so it didn't :-) . Got all the way to the closing phase of the backup section when it died with the elem.c-821 assertion check. But I didn't have the Spotlight files exclusion selector on - perhaps a factor.

So now I've modified my script for this system to first backup Mail.app as a subvolume, then back up the whole disk. As I write this, the Mail.app subvolume has been backed up and verified and it's now getting ready to start on the full volume. We'll see in the morning how it did.

Quote:

So now I've modified my script for this system to first backup Mail.app as a subvolume, then back up the whole disk. As I write this, the Mail.app subvolume has been backed up and verified and it's now getting ready to start on the full volume. We'll see in the morning how it did.

Nope. Appeared to get to the end, then "Unexpectedly quit" as before. mad.gif

I finally have a good backup (almost!). I previously mentioned that some of the time, the tree.c-3444 assertion check occurred when backing up a file deep in the Mail.app package. Running a backup with both the .Spotlight-V100 folder and Mail.app folder excluded let it run to completion.

I'm still working to try to localize it to a particular file but for now at least I have a usable backup of almost the entire system and since I use Entourage rather than Mail, not having a good backup of Mail.app is not a big deal (plus, if I make Mail.app a subvolume, it backs up fine - really, really strange!).

Nonetheless, I'd really like to see Dantz figure out all these assertion check errors and unexpected quits people are seeing and get them fixed. I can't say I have 100% confidence at this point.

Just an update

After many many woes with Retrospect and my FW drives. Countless Error codes and Kernel panics, I finally (at long last) seem to have come up with a solution and have successfully backed up my whole system again, including my 2 powerbooks. Without having one single crash - Wow!

Here's what I've found so far.

My system is a G5 Dual 2.5Ghz running 10.4.1 (with all latest updates) and Retrospect 6.0.212 (with latest driver). My Tiger system and all software was reinstalled from scratch (after a serious hard drive crash).

I back up to a LaCie FW800/FW400/USB2 1Tb drive.

I also have a second FW drive, a LaCie 500Gb FW400+800 which I usually leave permanently attached. Plus I have two powerbooks backing up to the G5.

Kernel Panic - If I connect the 2 FW drives (daisy) to the FW800 bus, I get a Kernel Panic as soon as Retro starts copying files. Every single time.

Backup Drive FW800 port, 2nd FW drive on FW400 - FW400 drive appears to drop off the bus, during a backup, each and every time (at different points in the backup). Retro therefore fails.

Backup Drive FW800 port, 2nd FW drive on USB2 - Same as above. 2nd Lacie drive drops off the USB bus this time. Weird.

Finally I decided to try the Backup Drive on the FW400 port and the 2nd drive on the FW800 port. SUCCESS! :-)

At last. This combo seems to work. I've managed to backup all of my internal drives and the external FW drive + 2 powerbooks. I've no idea why it works, but it does. My logical side presumes it has something to do with the 1Tb drive running too quickly on the FW800 bus and the other drives not being able to keep up with it, so they fail. But that's my guess its not based on anything factual.

I'm just glad I've found something that works.

Paul

I get the assertion check at "elem.c-811" when I do a full volume Copy while scanning the "from" volume. Retrospect has scanned 68,247 folders and 371,393 files. Maybe Retrospect can't handle that many items. My system is a G4 Dual 1.42Ghz running 10.4.1.

Lou

I have a similar, but not exact, problem:

COMPUTER: G5 DP 2GHz/2 x 220 GB HD’s/8 GB RAM

SOFTWARE: Retrospect Desktop 6.0.212 + Driver 6.4.102

BACKUP MEDIA: 2 x 250 GB FX external HD’s, configured as removable media.

CRASH CIRCUMSTANCES:

My normal backup is incremental and includes two 250 GHz internal boot volumes and a 20 GB networked client volume.

Retrospect crashes suddenly, without a crash report, always while 11 GB into the first volume containing 40 GB of data. The log simply states that Retrospect quit. I do get a Mac crash report dialog box to report the crash.

The crash occurs during the copying phase,

I am selecting “All Files”, verification off, backup FileVault sparseimages off, and catalog compression on.

I have been using Retrospect daily since 1992 and the present configuration for two years with no problems.

It have had 10.4 installed since it was first released and the 10.4.1 update since 16 May, routinely running daily incremental backups without any problems until 25 June, when the crashes started.

I have had no hardware nor software changes that coincide with the beginning of the problem.

This issue has suddenly appeared with no “apparent” cause.

My attempts for a solution include:

1. Running full panels of DiskUtility, TechTool Pro and DiskWarrior;

2. Uninstalling and reinstalling Retrospect, including complete reconfiguration;

3. Re-formatting the external FW backup HD’s;

4. Replacing the external FW backup HD’s;and

5. Replacing the external FW backup HD cables.

Any ideas out there?

Quote:

Retrospect crashes suddenly, without a crash report, always while 11 GB into the first volume containing 40 GB of data

- What is "the first volume?" Is it the boot drive?

- If you change the order of the Sources, does the problem follow the same volume?

- Have you created a selector to exclude Spotlight files?

- Have you created a selector to exclude /Library/Preferences from the Retrospect machine?

Hi,

I have a G4 MDD running Tiger Server 10.4.1 and Retrospect 6.0.212 with driver update 6.4.102. Since updating my file server from server 10.1.4 to server 10.4.1 I have been unable to successfully back the drive up by any means. When I had the backup drive and Retrospect software installed on another G4 with Panther it would begin to crash Retrospect about halfway through backing up the share. It would always crash with a bad_access or exception error.

So I moved Retrospect to the 10.4.1 server (different machine now), hooked the AIT3 backup library to this file server, and I have tried many times to back the drive up locally but no dice, every time about halfway through I get the error:

"Trouble in Retrospect:

Internal consistency check failed:

Assertion check at "tree.c-3444"

Then after clicking the Quit button Retrospect half hangs trying to close, if I do a force-quit of Retrospect I am greeted by an immediate kernel panic.

Now, here is what I've done to address this issue:

As suggested on these forums I have created a selector in Retrospect to exclude all .Spotlight-V100 files.

I have also completely disabled Spotlight via the command, I have removed the spotlight indexes and have modified the etc/hostconfig file to keep Stoplight from starting up.

... None of these solutions have helped.

Apparently Server 10.4.1 has a bug that does not let you add folders or disks to the Privacy tab of Spotlight preferences, just more stuff on Tiger that doesn't work as advertised (especially the Server version). Anyways, completely disabling Spotlight should alleviate the need to fiddle with that privacy tab anyways.

I am unable to find any help from Apple or Dantz on this issue, does anybody on this forum know of any other workaround I might try? Reverting the server to mac os x server 10.1 instead of 10.4 is not an option and I don't have time to wait for Dantz or Apple to release better versions of their software.

Thanks,

Ben

Hi,

I have a ATTO UL4S using the latest driver available from their site (the driver doesn't mention Tiger-compatibility, only Panther-compatible, but so far it appears to be working fine). I didn't change any settings on the scsi card or the backup drive (Sony AIT-3 tape library).

I actually got a backup to run completely last night with no problems, the backup was failing everytime on a corrupted html doc nested deep within the server. Removing that file did the trick, no more errors.

I don't know if the backup would still work with spotlight re-enabled, based on my experience with stoplight i'm not too inclined to try on this server. maybe stoplight will work properly six months down the road with 10.4.5 or something like that. smirk.gif

actually, i commented too soon.

i just ran the backup again and got the error "assertion check at elem.c-821". I haven't clicked Quit yet because i'm also running AFP on this server, currently have users logged into open shares, and everytime I've clicked that button in the past i'm greeted by an immediate kernel panic.

this was on a completely different file this time, so I still don't think i'm any closer then i have been.

do i need to make a selector omitting *files* named .Spotlight-V100? the dantz kb article only said to omit *folders* named .Spotlight-V100.

my gut is still telling me that stoplight is the issue. thank goodness i didn't reenable it!

Here’s your response:

1. The first volume is the current boot volume.

2. I have not yet changed the order of the source volumes, but I will after running this test.

3. I have created a selector to exclude any files/folders containing the word “Spotlight.”

4. I have created a selector to exclude “/Library/Preferences.”

When I ran the above selector changes, Retrospect crashed (quit suddenly without notice or dialog) in the same place it always crashes: During the copying phase of the first (current boot) volume.

To try to check out all possibilities, I booted into my second volume and ran a Retrospect backup without selectors with no problems. I then rebooted back into my primary boot volume and ran Norton Antivirus and found that it also crashed about the same distance into the scan. During that scan, and before NAV crashed, NAV detected and destroyed three PC virus’: Dummy.class, a strain of Java.Nocheat, and an infection in archive stat.zip-2a9adc64-5bc36fc5.zip.

I compared the Retrospect Crash Log to the NAV Crash Log and found that the exception occurred at exactly the same spot:

Host Name: G5

Date/Time: 2005-06-27 23:54:21.957 +0200

OS Version: 10.4.1 (Build 8B15)

Report Version: 3

Command: Retrospect

Path: /Applications/Retrospect 6.0/Retrospect/Contents/MacOS/AuthenticateUser.app/Contents/MacOS/../../../Retrospect

Parent: launchd [1]

Version: 6.0.212 (6.0)

Build Version: ???

Project Name: ???

Source Version: ???

PID: 754

Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xbf7ffffc

And

Date/Time: 2005-06-29 13:54:40.747 +0200

OS Version: 10.4.1 (Build 8B15)

Report Version: 3

Command: Norton AntiVirus

Path: /Applications/Norton Solutions/Norton AntiVirus.app/Contents/MacOS/Norton AntiVirus

Parent: WindowServer [115]

Version: 9.0.3 (6)

PID: 438

Thread: 2

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x0838507c

I do not know if this is significant, but it raises some serious suspicions (malware?).

As an error in judgment, without running Retrospect at this point, I reversed the order of the sources, eliminated all selectors, and ran Retrospect to a successful backup of all volumes.

I do not know if the solution was in reversing the order of the sources or bumping things around with NAV, but at the moment, I am up and running. As an aside: NAV still crashes at the same spot!

Two things puzzle me:

1. I have not had any problems up to now without these selectors.

2. I have another Mac (G3 PowerBook) with exactly the same backup setup. (OS X 10.4.1, Retrospect Desktop, and two external firewire backup drives configured as removable media.) I use the same script as with the problem computer. This setup never misses a beat.

Although I am now “relatively” problem free, I fear that I have something sinister lurking in the bowels of my machine.