I upgraded my home machine (dual 1.8 GHz G5, 1.5 GB of RAM) to Tiger, and upgraded Retrospect to 6.0.212. Created a new backup set on an external FW 800 drive. Backup set is encrypted 3DES.

These are exactly the same settings I've always used, but with Panther and the previous version of Retrospect I was getting 400 MB/minute backing up the local hard drive. Now I'm getting 32 MB/minute.

Retro is using 54% of one CPU. A finder copy to the firewire drive gets 48 MB/second. There are no errors in the system logs or the Retrospect log.

Tiger did ask some interesting questions when I installed 6.0.212. It wasn't happy with the permissions assigned to RetroRun and offered two choices, fix or decide later. I chose the fix option. The system log message for that was "/Library/StartupItems/RetroRun/RetroRun" failed security check: not owned by GID 0. But it did start up so I don't see that as a problem.

I noticed the same this morning after I upgraded my server to Tiger and the new 6.0.212 Retrospect. I was seeing network backup speeds in the range of 150MB to 400MB/min and now with my first backup it was running about 10MB to 30MB/min. This is with a Windows XP client running (I believe) version 6.5. Does the client version need to be upgraded?

I just want fast, reliable backups! What the secret? Do I need to revert to Panther?