Recycle backups

uwe

Here's a description of how I handle the backups for my personal systems: I have two backup sets for my VXA tape drive. Each set consists of two tapes. I have Retrospect configured to alternate backup sets, switching every Saturday night.

When both tapes in a set fill up (every 2 months or so--the sets are staggered, so one fills up while the other still has a ways to go), I do a recycle backup. The problem I have is that there doesn't seem to be any way to preinitialize the tapes so Retrospect automatically does a recycle backup at 2AM the next time it tries to do a backup. Manually changing the scheduler is a pain. What I typically wind up doing is starting a separate recycle backup before I go to bed. That works, but then Retrospect does another backup at 2AM, which typically goes very quickly.

What I'd like is either a way to go into the scheduler and override the next operation to tell it to do a recycle backup, or a way to preinitialize the tape so it knows what backup set it is a part of, but has been cleared. I can't just erase the tapes because then it's no longer part of Backup Set A or Backup Set B. And if I tell it to "forget" the backup set, the schedule gets screwed up.

I hope this makes some sense.

BTW, I really like this forum. I remember having other issues that I can't recall right now, but I like being able to tell you all about them here.

--- Uwe

I believe what you're looking for is available in the Backup Set configuration window. Configure the backup set that you'll be using and click the options tab. Next to Media, click Action and you'll get a window where you can choose the next backup action. This overrides what's in your script for the next time you back up to this set (whether by script or otherwise).

Hope this helps! And thanks for the feedback on the forum!

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Archived