user interface incredibly slow.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, and it took a full _5 days_ from the first hint on this board that it might be RAID related before Dantz publically stated that they had reproduced the issue!

Can you imagine if it took Adobe that long to document a software flaw after getting a report on their community support website? Or Microsoft? The horror!

Yes, it appears that their test suites may not have included Retrospect running on a software RAID booted Mac OS X machine. Or maybe some RAID configurations expose this bug and others do not. Certainly it does _not_ suggest that the Dantz QA test engineers are just emptying wastebaskets at the office.

Dave

to be fair andy you have to admit that as soon as they discovered it was raid related they were working on a fix.

i got a call last week from europe tech supp to say they were trying to get a fix sorted out for next week. although it means a hairy week or so for me with no backups i'm delighted that they're responding.

m

Quote:

Yes, it appears that their test suites may not have included Retrospect running on a software RAID booted Mac OS X machine. Or maybe some RAID configurations expose this bug and others do not. Certainly it does _not_ suggest that the Dantz QA test engineers are just emptying wastebaskets at the office.

Dave

OK, love and kudos out to Dantz/Legato/EMC for figuring out the issue in 5 days.

The fact that they don't test on mirrored volumes, or that some of you think using them is strange is disheartening.

How can you run a server on a single drive without mirroring? Yipes! Backup is just that.... backup.

btt

is there an answer on the horizon? the latest update does not seem to change a thing. on my config, retrospect renders the system unusable as long as the RAID0 volume is mounted. I'm not trying to back it up, or running anything form it related to retrospect. (!)

• 2 weeks later...

What? that update they released for Tiger (and now I'm using Tiger) and all my issues have gone away.

Retrospect is working fine now on my RAID1 boot volume with 10.4.1

thanks Retrspect people. Now please release a low-cost version of Legato for the mac.

WOW...I'm glad I'm not going nuts after reading this thread. (Thanks CallMeDave for leading me to it) I am running server on dual mirrored 80GB Western Digitals on the standard IDE controller. I hope they release a fix soon. Exiting every morning is a pain.

An OS X software mirror was the last thing I would have thought would be the cause. I started blaming the SCSI stuff right away. Oh well...live and learn...

fwiw any errors i've had with retro6 (i just bit the bullet and moved to tiger) crashing has been resolved by making the folder names shorter. i haven't worked out what the exact limit is but folders like 10071|Xxxxxx|xxxxxxx xxx backup where 10071|Xxxxxx|xxxxxxx xxx xxxxxxx xxx xx won't.

this is backing up our raid0 project folders on a dual 2.5 g5 with 10.4.1 booting up from exf fw800 drive (the two internal drives make up the raid).

I guess still no info on this issue. Does anyone have a workaround? I'd even be willing to unplug one of the mirrored OS drives if it temporarily solved the problem. Has anyone tried that? It is so frustrating making any changes with the user interface, especially changing tapes. It slows the server to a crawl.

Thanks all...