Help! Backup file question

I upgraded to 6.0 for the mac because I was told it could create bigger backup files. Today, I tried to backup my Mac over a LAN to a window hard drive on the system. Everything went ok during setup, but as soon as the backup started a got an error in the log saying -

2/12/2005 2:37:27 PM: Copying Big Boss…

* Separating file backup set:

Data file name: 2005 backup

Catalog file name: 2005 backup.cat

Can't add that much data to backup set.

The limit is 2.0 G.

2/12/2005 2:39:12 PM: Execution incomplete.

Remaining: 108223 files, 9.4 GB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:01:45 (00:01:41 idle/loading/preparing)

WHAT GIVES? I thought 6.0 could create unlimited file sizes.>

Just a guess from a non-pro..

I believe it's referring the 2GB limit is for the size of the CATALOG. Try seperating the catogue out from the backup

(I've backed up over 12gb in one sitting.)

Otherwise, its one of the 2 gazillion other and/if/or/then/elses or buts limitations in Retro.

goodluck, please let us know if you find out the solution

Quote:

WHAT GIVES? I thought 6.0 could create unlimited file sizes.

I'm sure there's a limit; but it's not what you're reaching.

The limit you're reaching is caused by the networking protocol you're using.

And since "I tried to backup my Mac over a LAN to a window hard drive on the system" is only a basic outline of what you're actually doing, suggestions from others can only be based on guesses.

Try the same operation to a local volume and you'll see that the program is not limited.

Dave

I believe the limitation is on the Windows side, not the Mac side. Not sure what the filesize limit is for Windows boxes, but I think you've circumvented your own system.

Retrospect 6 does indeed have a much bigger filesize feature, but only if you backup to a device connected to the Mac, eg. a DVD-R drive. Unfortunately you're backing up to a Windows box, so this is a problem on the PC side, since you're using a Windows formatted disk.

If you really have to backup to a PC, buy a Windows version of Retrospect, or buy a drive for the Mac, and backup to that instead.

We're an entire MAC shop (no PCs connected to our Network) with MAXTOR external backup drives. We've NEVER been able to perform a "back-up" - We get this 2 GB error WHENEVER we try to backup to a "File"

If we use the "Removeable Disk" option (after changing the preferences) the media is "unrecognizable" or "busy" and we're asked to erase all the contents of the drive. When we do this, we have to use Disk Utility to remount the drive and the process repeats itself.

If anyone out there knows a work-around, we'd sure appreciate it. We've been reduced to duplication and can't use any of the cool intelligence features Dantz is supposedly so famous for.

HELP

Archived