AIT Tape no longer works.

Have you rebooted since the update? If you have and the device is still not visible, please provide details on your configuration:

Retrospect Version and build

Computer Model and speed

OS X version and build

Device (from Retrospect's Configure > Devices > Device Status window)

Device firmware (in the version column of the Device Status window)

Device interface

Media brand and size

Other Devices

Adapter Card

Adapter Card firmware

Adapter Card driver for OS X

Thanks,

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Have you rebooted since the update? -- Yes.

Retrospect Version and build -- 5.0.205

Computer Model and speed -- G4, 733 MHz, ID 406

OS X version and build -- 10.1.5

Device (from Retrospect's Configure > Devices > Device Status window) -- Doesn't show up (that's the problem!)

Device interface -- SCSI, Sony SDX-500C, AIT2 Tape Drive

Media brand and size

Other Devices

Adapter Card -- Adaptec 29160N

Adapter Card firmware -- 1.2

Adapter Card driver for OS X -- PowerDomain 1.1.0

You will recall that it worked fine under 10.1.4 but broke under 10.1.5.

Also, System Profiler sees it as "IOSCSIParallelDevice"

Thanks,

Jim

We have a similar problem.

Our Sony TSL-A300 AIT Autoloader Unit is visible but it does not properly recognize the unit as a multi tape device. The eject function did work, but that's about all.

We use MAC OS 10.1.5 and Retrospect 5.0.205.

Thanks very much for your help.

Christian

I switched to a Grappler 930U SCSI card, thinking that Adaptec might be the problem and it worked! For a while. Then stopped. (weird!)

Under IOSCSIParallelDevice, ASP lists the details of the Sony drive.

Details of (now) both PCI cards are listed.

Device Status now lists an ID of SCSI-A:1 but no other info.

And frankly, I don't remember what ASP reported before. In 9.2.2 it lists a SCSI buss.

I have a similar problem. I upgraded to Mac OS X V10.1.5 from V10.1.4 (using Apple's Software Update System Preferences), and now Retrospect no longer recognizes my tape drive. Details follow:

Retrospect Version and build -- 5.0.201

Computer Model and speed -- G4, 933 MHz, ID 406

OS X version and build -- 10.1.5

Device (from Retrospect's Configure > Devices > Storage Devices window) -- Storage device doesn't show up (that's the problem!)

Device interface -- SCSI, Sony SDT-S9000 Tape Drive

Media brand and size

Other Devices

SCSI Adapter Card -- Adaptec 2930CU

Adapter Card firmware -- Where do I get this info?

Adapter Card driver for OS X -- Where do I get this info?

Apple System Profiler correctly recognizes my SCSI card ("ADPT,2930CU"), but Retrospect cant find the tape drive attached to it.

Any help greatly appreceated.

-Bill

**THIS FIXED MY PROBLEM. IT MAY FIX YOURS** See article #106905 at Apple's Knowlege Base.

http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/kbase.woa/wa/query?searchMode=Assisted&type=id&val=KC.106905

I followed the steps therein, and it solved my problem (i.e., Retrospect not able to recognize my tape drive). The short version is to delete a file called:

com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

in the /Library/Preferences folder. I have no idea why the fix in the article works, but that's the beauty of OS X!

-Bill

Bill,

Thanks, but it didn't work for me.

However, I discovered that by using a FireWire/SCSI converter, in this case a Bridgeit™ from Firmware.net, did make it work! So, if it works, don't fix it!!

Although I still think the PCI card problem should be addressed.

-Jim

Please note that Dantz does not support the use of SCSI - FireWire converters.

SCSI drives must be connected to a supported SCSI card with the same pin configuration as the drive. The Sony 500C drive is a 68-pin drive I believe, and needs to be connected to a 68-pin card, so the 29160N won't work.

The Grappler card requires a firmware update and driver, available at:

http://www.orangemicro.com/updatescsi.html

However, the 68-pin Sony SDX-500C drive means that you won't be able to connect it to the 50-pin Grappler 930 card either. The Grappler 940UW is the only card by Orange-Micro that has a 68-pin connector.

Since the drive is a 68-pin drive, you'll want to get a 68-pin SCSI card to connect it to.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm sorry that you don't support SCSI/Firewire converters but it is still working.

Perhaps the Bridgeit is a different kind of device. I know that it will handle a full SCSI load of disks, something I don't think all of them to do.

The 50/68 pin thing is bogus in my opinion. The setup works in 9.22 and worked in 10.1.4. I think that Apple broke something having to do with SCSI in 10.1.5. I keep hoping that someone will figure out what.

Anyway, I strongly suggest to anyone who is having problems with SCSI tape drives that they check out

http://firmware.net

Thanks for your help -- and I still think that Retro is the best thing since punch cards!

• 2 weeks later...

IrenaS-

I thought I had a solution, but I guess it didn't last. I've been away for the past week and a half, and came back to a slew of daily Retrospect errors (each one the same). Problem is that Retrospect doesn't recognize my Sony SDT-S9000 tape drive any more. Problem started when I upgraded from Mac OS X V10.1.4 to V10.1.5 (June 12). Up until that time, Retrospect recognized my Sony tape drive, and properly backed up to it. I found this thread back on June 14 when the problem first surfaced. I posted to this thread, and even thought I had a solution (removing the file: com.apple.PowerManagement.plist). As stated above, that solution didn't last. The tape drive was recognized and the backups were properly executed until June 27, when I activated an "I'm-out-of-town" backup script). When I returned from holiday, that script had not executed properly the whole time I was out of town. The problem was that Retrospect does not recognize my Sony Tape drive any more.

To review:

1) Everything was working fine until I upgraded to V10.1.5.

2) Then Retrospect could not recognize my Sony Tape drive.

3) I deleted the "com.apple.PowerManagement.plist" file, and Retrospect was again able to recognize the Sony Tape drive and properly execute backups.

4) Then I changed backup scripts, and once again Retrospect was not able to recognize the Sony Tape drive.

Any help would be greatly appreceated.

-Bill

The Adaptec 2930CU card is not supported under OS X, I'm afraid. Your drive must be connected to a supported SCSI card with the same pin configuration as the drive. A list of supported SCSI cards is on our site at:

[url[http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=osx_scsi_adapter[/url]

Thanks,

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Irena-

I'm back up and running!

After posting my message to you last night, I shut down my G4 (running Mac OS X V10.1.5) for approx. 5 minutes. I then powered up the G4 (the Sony SDT S9000 tape drive was never powered down), and launched the Apple System Profiler. The Sony SDT-S9000 Tape Drive showed up under the Devices and Volumes tab. It was listed under an arrow labeled "IOSCSIParallelDevice". I kind of expected it to be listed to the right of "SCSI card" to the right of "Slot-3" (which was to the right of PCI), but it was listed further below "Hard Drive" and "DVD-R/CD-RW" instead. No matter, it was there. I quit Apple System Profiler, and launched Retrospect V5.0.205. On the "Configuration" tab, I clicked the "Devices" button and the Sony SDT-S9000 Drive showed up in the "Storage Devices" window (labeled by Retrospect as "Sony DAT DDS-DC, SCSI-A2"). Backup proceeded properly later that night.

BTW, whats the difference between an Adaptec 2930CU and an Adaptec 2930U (other than a "C" between the "0" and the "U")? My original Adaptec box calls the enclosed card an "Ultra PowerDomain 2930." There is a white adhesive label on the box with barcodes for Product P/N and Product S/N. The Product P/N is 1796200. Elsewhere on the same white adhesive label it reads "AHA-2930U MAC KIT" The only place I see the designation "2930CU" is on the Apple System Profiler report. I installed the "Adaptec2930.pkg" on my G4 OS X Macintosh, but otherwise this card was installed "as is" out of the box (labeled either "Ultra PowerDomain 2930" or "AHA-2930 MAC KIT", depeding on how closely one reads the box). Any idea what the difference is between "2930CU" and "2930U"

Thanks.

-Bill

Bill,

I have that same SCSI card and ran into the same question about 2930U versus 2930CU. Adaptec Tech Support assured me that the card we have is supported by Adaptec under Mac OS X (preferrably with the 1.1 drivers) and that it is normal for the Ultra PowerDomain 2930 to show up as 2930CU in Apple System Profiler.

They never explained why the designation 2930CU seems to mean different things in different contexts.

--Mark

Archived